Anyone Having Issues with CPC Orders?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thermionic

The last 2 orders I've made from Farnell sister company, CPC, have omitted most of the parts I ordered, although the delivery note stated they were included. This has meant I've had to ring customer services and convince them an error's been made. This has happened several times now, with Farnell as well - albeit not twice in succession.

On top of this, whereas CPC's complimentary delivery used to arrive next day, they now send out the day after you order for some reason.

Rapid prices have increased lately, which is why I've been using CPC. However, I'm beginning to think the saving is negated by the hassle they cause.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Oh yeah - their stock checking is poor as well. They invariably claim something's available when you order, not to send it for a week or two. WTF is going on there?

Justin

perfect timing with this post.
I have been a regualr user of Rapid for some time now, but my last order never arrived, i then had to wait several weeks before they could make the claim from royal mail before they would dispatch a replacement order. They eventually did this free of charge on a next day, but i wasnt happy about the wait.
I ordered some other bits on wednesday from rapid, they dont seem to stock 2.54mm pitch screw terminals, so i ordered these seperately from Farnell.
The farnell order arrived yesterday and the postage was cheaper than rapids.
the rapid order has still not arived.......

I have never had any trouble with CPC but I don't use them much now because of their limited range of stock.

I used to use Rapid a lot and never had any trouble with them either, but I don't use them much now since they stopped doing high voltage electrolytics.

I now mostly use Farnell but their web site search is shambolic, they often have parts out of stock when the web site says in stock and it takes weeks to get the back order.

I used to use RS a lot but their web site is so bad I just cannot be bothered with it.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Justin,

I've had a similar thing with CPC. I have stopped using them except when I can't get things elsewhere.

Last time I ordered some bits there was stuff missing, although the packing slip was right. I called up and they sent out replacements, but that delivery wasn't right either.

They also only label their resistors with the stock number and not the value. I have received wrong packs and only noticed later on.

Cheers!

Stewart.

Declining customer service is often evidence of other problems (like money problems).

I had an opposite experience with a good vendor. I misplaced something that was actually shipped to me (i didn't notice it lurking in the packing material for a larger item) so i reported the shortage, and they sent me a replacement. Several months later I found the misplaced item, and cut them a check with apologies to cover the double shipment, and making their employee look bad.

Stuff happens, but a pattern of stuff happening is usually caused by something.

JR

CPC have been fairly consistant here with deliveries, apart from them sending me Power Amps I haven't ordered .......

Both Rapid & CPC have become significantly more expensive, & both have significantly reduced their component ranges, particularly with items that I seem to need regularly .....  In the case of rapid they have increased their MOQ's on things like toneluck F4 switches that I use a lot.  MOQ is now 1000 ..... yikes

Sadly, I too have noticed the restriction in ranges and the significant price hikes that have gone on at CPC and Farnell in particular.
It seems that when a recession hits the perceived wisdom is to increase the prices.
The price of some things shot up by about 30%. It was very noticeable! Particularly things like switches.
Farnell then tried to make out that they'd dropped the price on some things. (Obviously they'd had a drop in orders).
I even had a sales rep call and ask whether there was anything that they could be doing better. I told him that I was now ordering from Mouser and was very happy with their service.
Even though they are in the States, packages only take a couple of days and their range and prices are really good.

I used to order weekly from Digikey, but they appear to have put up prices in the last year (exchange rate? Weak Pound?), as well as having culled some ranges.

J

For passives, especially WIMA caps, I've had really good luck with TAW electronics:

www.tawelectronics.com

Good stock, good value selection, and excellent customer service.

Best,
Bruno2000

This company is abysmal. Seriously, don't go near them whatever you do. I spend several thousand a year with them, yet when they lose an order for the umpteenth time, each customer service representative tells me a different story. When I speak to a manager, they're belligerent and offer no concession to make me feel better.

I placed an order on Monday. They have no idea where it is. The manager is surly. The order was for £270 GBP.

Don't touch them with a bargepole, seriously. 9/10 orders may go ok, but if you work in this business professionally, when it does go wrong, it will cost you much more than you save. Pay a little extra and go to RS - CPC is false economy.

Justin

I use CPC a lot. Never had any particular problems with packages not arriving, that's usually royal mail or whoevers fault. I've had loads of problems with couriers not delivering stuff on time lately. The 2 problems I have with CPC are the lack of stock/long lead times. And yes things missing from orders. The muppets in the packing warehouse never tape up the boxes properly and little packages like a bag of caps/resistors end up falling out of the bottom of the box. I've had things missing from RS orders too and wrong things put in. Farnell are the only bunch I've been pretty satisfied with. I've never used rapid, I was going to the other week but like Rob said, the toneluck switches are MOQ 1000 now, I only need a dozen!

On numerous occasions CPC have taken my order, stating my parts are in stock, only for me to find certain items missing from the shipment despatch note, telling me I have to wait for them... This is v. annoying as I typically order from 2 or 3 firms a day, and would just have got them from RS or whereever. I suspect this policy is deliberate, to prevent clients going to aforementioned competitors.

Little known, but Farnell have 2 web sites. The second lesser known one is far easier to use and peruse.

http://www.easyflip.co.uk/farnell_book1/book.html

Frank

As CPC is now owned by Farnell there is bound to be a division made soon to avoid pointless duplication.  Logically it will split between components and household consumer spares and items.  I've never had any problems with Farnell, CPC or RS over the last 5 years of ordering, although I agree that the RS website is hopeless.  RS ask me my opinion of their website on a regular basis and I always tell them Farnell's is better, at least you can select more than one parameter at a time.

My biggest problem with RS is that their database has so many errors because of poor data inputting, only last week I told them about a resistor that was titled 27k but had 2.7k in the write up.
best
DaveP

I forgot to say: back in October I got a threatening letter from CPC, saying I owed them £50 and they were taking me to court in 7 days. As I've never had a credit account and have always paid via card, I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Having spent ages on their 0844 number (which they get a kick-back from) I got through to a rep. He said that a 'procedural error' on their behalf had resulted in my card not being charged.

I've never had anyone apply for a CCJ against me in my life, let alone when I didn't think I *could* owe them money, as technically, I didn't have a credit account.

CPC have been complete to$$ers to me. And I spend several thousand Pounds a yr...

BTW - They wrote off the money after I complained. But it's little compensation for what it did to my blood pressure.

J

Back