Anyone here still using gas-powered leaf blowers? Don't.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets leave the leaf blowing up to mother nature , you can leaf blow till the cows come home , then in one stormy night all the good work can be undone , biggest f'king waste of time and energy I ever saw in my life .
I have an electric leaf blower but I've only ever used it to start the barbeque or bonfire .
Chainsaw on the other hand more than pays its way in energy terms , dangerous b'stard of a thing though .
Splitting nicely seasoned chunks of timber with an axe or maul , thats the stuff were made of , fire keeps the wolf and other wild critters from the door after all .

how did you come across that?

i have a German leaf blower

the livestock enjoy eating leaves in the winter

no landscape crews here

the author has a california perspective

I see the people leafblowing in the picture are not using ear defenders either , I typically use a set of ear plugs with ear muffs over the top when Im using noisey garden equipment .

The regulations in built up areas ,like California simply dont apply in rural areas , not to mention the difficulty of trying to police regs down on the farm .

Ive heard of stories from large beef farmers in Ireland and the rising number of regulations ,paper work, general red tape and spot checks by department officials making whats already a tough job even more difficult .

In garden equipment places here they do sell other special fuels specifically to cut down on emissions from small two stroke motors , Im not sure the formula . Another thing they could try is running this kind of gear on ethanol/castor oil , although port timing and carb jet modifications would be needed to make them run nice , its definately one possible solution in built up areas .

This idea that we could simply swap over to battery power might be fine in the domestic sector of the market but its never going to be a viable option for commercial operators , they'd need a wheelbarrow load of batteries and associated chargers to do the same work as a couple of cans of gas .

I typically run my ride on mower as late into the winter as I can , of course the grass has stopped growing , but its a usefull way of hoovering up leaves which are then added to my compost heap .

You do ocassionally see commercial gardeners wearing breathing masks/ respirators here, probably a good plan really , if even a bit uncomfortable .

Back