Anyone recognize this connector? TEAC 40-4

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This (obsolete/hard to find connectors), old knobs, and old bezels etc are the only reasons I can think of to buy one of those new fangled goo printers. You could get yourself a set of nice contacts, take measurements from the old units opening and mounting pints and go to town.

Thats a great idea. One day when I grow up I'll get a 3D printer. That and a CNC machine.

I'm still curious about the mod idea to make it so I don't need that cable.

A long time ago, I sold dozens of modified DX4/8. They were not supposed to work with other brands of machines. The lack of control connection mutes all sections.
The mod was very easy, IIRC, it consisted in cutting one or two resistors, and that was it.
It left the mute transistors in circuit. Although not supposed to conduct, large peaks turned on the b-e junction zener, which resulted in asymmetric clipping. The full mod entailed removing the transistors, which allowed users to operate at +4 nominal.

Attached is the schematic for the later model DX4D I found at hifiengine. (please remove if not allowed). I assume the control circuit & muting pcb would be same or similar to the DX4.

Attachments

• hfe_tascam_dx-2d_4d_schematic.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This (obsolete/hard to find connectors), old knobs, and old bezels etc are the only reasons I can think of to buy one of those new fangled goo printers.
It just shows you haven't experienced it. When you have one, you find many uses for it. Just like the old saying: "when your only tool is hammer, everything looks like a nail".
My printer is used at least once a week. I do many things. I've done mounting brackets and handles for modular racks, cable handlers, jigs, and many other things not related to audio, like kitchen vacuum cleaner holder and Sharpie holders. I could live without these gadgets, but I'm better with them.
Just try it. It's addictive.;)

Attached is the schematic for the later model DX4D I found at hifiengine. (please remove if not allowed). I assume the control circuit & muting pcb would be same or similar to the DX4.
DX4D is more complex than DX4, IIRC. But the mod to make it "universal" is still quite simple, short out transistor Q001.

Latest posts

Back