Apex jr. I finally got to go.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

After years of saying I would I finally made it to apex jr. Well worth it as they had exactly what i needed. Plus it's right around the corner from my current gig.  Six thousand sq feet of DIY goodness, especially in the tube dept. he is a member here. Plus they also do online sales. So check him out if you in the area and hit him up if you need stuff.

I've been to Steve's (apex jr) warehouse near Montrose, CA.
He has a lot of stuff not listed on his web page.....and another warehouse that I've never been to.

His brother is my landlord !
lol

Have bought many wonderful items from Steve such as tubes (at very good prices) ribbon tweeters and odds and ends. He mentioned he might be closing it down when I was there recently, which makes me sad. If you are even remotely in the area, it's worth a trip.

Thanks for the comments,

I,ve been in Torrance for the last 5 years and moved 3 warehouses into one 6000 sq ft warehouse
To consoladate and to lesson my comute from La Crescenta to Torrance.

To address the closing down aspect, I'm not closing quite yet, business is quite different
Then when I left the big Apex in 1992. There is less DIY people building and my niche market
Is slowly getting smaller and smaller making it harder and harder to sustain a 6000 sq ft buildings
Rent. This is still a fun business and am still able to find items of interest in the audio field.

I visited in '99 or '00. Sounds like much larger space currently.  Hope it keeps working for you Steve. 

warpie said:
APEX JR. said:
There is less DIY people building...

Really? I would guess the opposite but what do I know?

I used to operate a kit business back in the '70s-'80s, Heath kit used to sell $100M a year worth of kits.

DIY to save money used to be mainstream, now it is more of a niche market for people pursuing exotic or esoteric products.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
pucho812 said:
bet you it's harmon kardon ;D

Nah I think it's probably some of the same people, but new money bags behind them... The business plan still seems dead as a doornail to me.

JR

Depends how much they align with the whole raspi and arduino world. The Raspi foundation just commented that they shipped 2.5Million units.

Another satisfied customer. I wouldn't be using teflon coated wire if it wasn't for Apex Jr. He makes it affordable.

Paul reminds me to mention that you don't need to live in L.A. to deal with Steve at Apex Jr.  His mail order service is excellent and he is super easy to communicate with.

Thanks to this site I learned about this place. And clearly that's not the only thing I've learned here. But I headed on down to Torrance today and had the pleasure of visiting this massive warehouse of STUFF. Steve's got pretty much everything you need and can walk away with THAT DAY as opposed to waiting a week from the corporations. The prices are good and he's a super nice dude. Shout to Apex Jr.

Latest posts

Back