It's nice to meet everyone, from rainy Portland.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sos_b0ss

Hi everyone, my goodness time flies! I joined quite some time ago and had just been lurking about and it finally made some sense to listen to the wise words of the intro email. My names Gabe from Portland Oregon, I go by the alias Sos anywhere I land myself online.

I've been working on audio equipment since highschool, started with a natural obsession of hacking together HiFi systems and custom cabs to eventually installing sound systems in any of my friends cars anytime I got the chance. Eventually was able to save up enough to get some equipment of my own and starting some small basement DJ-ing and light music production as a hobby to learn and meet some like minded people. I've been tinkering all my life and it wasn't until I helped form a band and moved up to Portland from AZ. About a week before the pandemic hit I started to seriously dive into the deep end of the mixing and audio engineering kool-aid. The move up north was really to try and play as many local shows and meet as many new faces in the area as we could, given we only really knew a hand full of locals, but with the whole world shutting down it somehow ended up to turn into me getting a CompTIA Sec+ cert and working at a bank as a fraud analyst. Really found myself getting way more into infosec and a cloud architecture rabbit hole than I ever really thought I was capable of but at least it helps fuel my addiction to making good sound and at 25, food on the table, good friends and a place to mix is more than I could ever ask for in life.

I play bass, synth and do backup vocals in my band and am the designated recordist nerd whenever it comes to tracking our tunes. I can't complain given its afforded me the opportunity to spend countless late nights in my home studio practicing, mixing and working on probably way more DIY modular synth kits than I should be (it's seriously a problem, send help lol). We plan to release our first EP at the end of next month super stoked!
I work in Ableton and Renoise and love getting the chance to add in some modular grid to do some real fonky stuff with max for live in really any project I get my hands on. I've scored a couple of indie films with an old buddy of mine from AZ, and have a few more planned in the near future. Current project I'm working on is a diy Sound Skulptor mc624 remote for my good friend Adam Lee who's a regular on here and seriously helped me spread my wings, and also of course with the help of all you lovely folk!!

I've also been spending whatever other free time lately trying to hack together some Rust code and wrap my head around finishing this plug and play modular style DSP project I've got on my bench. Uses a couple SBC Zima boards I have on hand, really trying to push to the limits what their PCIE are capable of. Managed to get about a third way through a working proof of concept using Kubernetes and some Ansible but goodness it's a real time sink. Anyways, huge geek, down to earth, and love long walks on the beach. Seriously hope to be making some more frequent posts now that I've finally got around to introducing myself.
Hope everyone here has a killer week, cheers!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230330_055435334.jpg
    PXL_20230330_055435334.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230330_055117874.jpg
    PXL_20230330_055117874.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230330_055042392.jpg
    PXL_20230330_055042392.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome, Gabe - thanks for the through introduction!

Diy dsp is a nice direction that we've seen all too little of imo :)

/Jakob E.
Back in 1973 for my Electronics degree dissertation I built what I called an improved compressor/limiter. It used lots of those new fangled 741 op amps that had recently come out. I precision rectified both the input and the output. The input rectified signal was passed through a piecewise linear approximation circuit to create the desired compressor/limiter characteristic and was then compared with the output rectified signal. The result was fed to a FET controlled attenuator in the signal path. The idea was to made the compressor/limiter characteristic independent of the FET characteristics.

Today you would A/D input and output and feed the results to a DSP which controlled the FET via a D/A.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:
Back