API-312 48v noise when using DI?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencerleehorton

I have noticed lately that most if not all of my API-312 preamps when i use 48v and a Bo Hansen DI it introduces some static noise?, the Bo` Hansen DI which is the mod you can do to the API-312.
On my modded channels with the Bo Hansen DI in it, its completely silent apart from when you turn the gain up and get a little hiss, but no static?

Any ideas?

If the noise is only present when 48V phantom is in use the problem may be excessive DC leakage in the Phantom DC voltage blocking capacitors.
===
Back last century we ran into a bad batch of electrolytic capacitors that were noticeably noisy during production line testing. I ended up black balling the entire capacitor series. Sorry I do not remember the brand, we used lots of capacitors at Peavey.

JR

changed the 100uf caps for some new nicholon and static still there, if i turn off the 48v for a few seconds i get nice clean audio through the bo hansen DI, so i will change the other 10uf caps in there and work out why the THRU isnt working?

Transformers do not create static/crackle. People have to learn to define so called 'imperfections and be precise as well as understanding the possible failure modes of various components.

i didnt know whether cheap chinese transformer i'd put in was an issue due to it not having a mumetal case and a seperate screen.

have tried this bo hansen di through a API and a neve and same problem so i know its not the source 48v.

could it be the transistors?
im using a 3mm red LED as specified, try a 5mm red?

any other ideas?

my modded channels with the Bo Hansen DI in it

Is the distinction you are making a pre-amp with a separately cased DI connected by cable, compared to a preamp which has the same DI circuitry internal to the preamp case?

get a little hiss, but no static?

Can you make a recording of what you are calling "static" so everyone is sure of what you are describing?

its seems changing the Led for a 3mm red one may stop the noise issue

I'm sure there are several people like me who have not memorized the Bo Hansen schematics. Could you provide a link to the schematic you are using?

Latest posts

Back