Audible pop when switching monitors on / off remotely

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
john12ax7 said:
Certainly.  Have you experienced any failures due to this?
Yes.
Before I wrote the post, I did my homework by finding a picture of the inside of your active speaker on the web, and after a brief analysis came to know how the power supply was designed. Based on that info, I suggested that you keep it in auto mode all the time.

Attachments

• krk v6 ver2.jpg
    krk v6 ver2.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 14
JohnRoberts said:
Hey Nelson?

You are usually more well-advised. :)
(as Abbey said to Squarewave few posts ago)
Here is the part of Crown LPS2500 (1450W) power supply:

Attachments

• crown lps2500.png
    crown lps2500.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
moamps said:
(as Abbey said to Squarewave few posts ago)
Here is the part of Crown LPS2500 (1450W) power supply:
I stand corrected... I haven't spent much time inside competitors amp designs, especially since blue LEDs were cheap enough to use in consumer products.

I still find it undesirable to tolerate an unnecessary extra 10W of heat load inside a power amp where managing heat is a major design goal.  It looks like they used three NTCs in parallel to reduce the effective on impedance and power loss.

JR

PS: I recognize the Nelson Pass name...  I swam in the other (cheap) end of the audiophile pool from him, before walking away from a market that in my judgement was not very rational.

I recall seeing some other videos on those monitors and they said after a time, the glue used on the PCB's becomes conductive.

abbey road d enfer said:
I refuse to believe that they could differentiate between power applied with the builtin switch or externally. It would be a challenge to design such a circuit. Even if they used another pole, the circuit would need power to operate.
There are amps that feature a soft-start circuit that is triggered by a low-level switch. Indeed it takes some kind of standby power.
Ther are also powered monitors that include level-sensitive turn-on, where a part of the circuitry is constantly powered. The turn-on behaviour could be quite different depending on how the system is turned on.
I don't understand. Where would this "standby power" come from? If you cut the power externally, there is no way to constantly power anything.

john12ax7 said:
I have 3 sets of studio monitors that I power on / off from a power strip.  1 set makes a popping sound when doing this,  the other 2 are fine.  There is no signal going to the monitor.  It doesn't do this if I use it's own on/ off switch located on the back panel,  which is rather inconvenient.

If you have just the problematic monitor Set on the power strip and nothing more connected to that power strip does it still do the same?
Or just when other equipment is sharing the same power strip?

Back