Audio output to AUX output (AUX is a Antenna) Need "loudest" solution

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreqFreaks

Hey forum goers

I used to be wayy into forums when I was younger, forgive me asking things here when so new and expecting results, thought I would try my luck.

I have a audio source, be it a actual audio file that I want to play through a device of some kind and for the output of this device to be a AUX cable which is attached to an antenna.
You need not know exactly what the antenna does or if it even scientifically makes sense for an AUX cable to be plugged to an antenna.

What I need to know is, how can I actually play the audio file at the loudest volume possible to transmit it to this said antenna.

A little back story:
I have tried getting a phone device and playing the file, through a small audio preamp that I bought on eBay (silly purchase I know) because it didn't really work at all to my knowledge (it played it only just a tad bit louder)
I have played it through a laptop AUX jack and it is louder than above attempt but still not to my super loud preference.

Can this be done without spending a large amount on some super expensive home audio amp? let me know

Is this real?

Possibly. I have occasionally run across people who are ignorant enough of the basics that they don't realize some question doesn't even make sense the way it is formulated.

I think the most correct answer is "the question does not make sense as stated, so there is no way to give a reasonable answer."

An AUX Antenna input on a tube radio is not analogous to an an AUX Audio output you enjoyed previously on your computer.
it's just a feature of your device that says "Aux" on the hardware, that is not suited to be the loudest anything.
If you wish to strongly broadcast via the antenna, I think you need another forum.

I have a audio source, be it a actual audio file that I want to play through a device of some kind and for the output of this device to be a AUX cable which is attached to an antenna.
You need not know exactly what the antenna does or if it even scientifically makes sense for an AUX cable to be plugged to an antenna.
On the contrary, this is the most important thing to know. Antennas are one of the most complex things in electronics. I don't know what are you trying to do with it but I am going to give you some pointers in general:

- The size of the antenna has to be directly related to the wavelength of the frequency you want to radiate. For instance, a lambda/4 monopole. This means that, if you want to transmit audio frequencies, of which the lowest is 20 Hz, you would need an antenna of around 2,330 miles long! Of course, the antenna can be smaller and still radiate, but still, it would have to be an extremely long antenna. This is one of the reasons why we use modulation like AM, FM, whatever, because we can "mount" the information on a much higher frequency signal and the antenna can be made much smaller.

- The way the antenna and the amplifier are coupled is extremely important; antennas have impedance (complex in most cases) and this impedance has to be matched to the amplifier's output impedance, this is called conjugate matching, and for this you need a matching network. However, RF/MW power amplifiers are rarely conjugate matched for reasons I am not going into now; designers usually carry out a very convoluted empirical process called "Load Pull", from which they present the amplifier a load which obtains maximum power, maximum efficiency or someway in between.

All that being said, the point I am trying to make is that, from what I am understanding, you want to connect the output of the amplifier to an antenna and crank up the volume; I am afraid this wont work. You might get some signal if you practically place another antenna touching the radiating antenna; but to expect that somehow electromagnetic waves at sound frequencies will travel through the air is simply not going to happen.

Last edited:
My friend here user 37518 is very well educated about topics such as antennas and propagation. I'm just an Old Guy who has worked off and on in the radio broadcast business. In my case, I was usually the "audio guy" who dealt with the reel to reels, cart machines, consoles, etc at the USA FCC licensed broadcast stations.

However, I worked along side with other guys who understood the complexities of broadcast RF transmitters, antenna systems atop 1000' tall steel towers, FCC rules (as well as FAA regulations re painting the towers, required lighting, etc) , etc. Some of it rubbed off on me by "osmosis".

I do NOT understand the OP's concepts. You cannot take an line level audio signal, connect it to an antenna, and expect to propagate a signal more than a few inches in specific examples. That's why transmitters are sold. This is well documented for 100+ years.

Perhaps the OP has a breakthrough invention that totally defies the well documented designs from the past 100+ years.

Whatever.....

Bri

My friend here user 37518 is very well educated about topics such as antennas and propagation. I'm just an Old Guy who has worked off and on in the radio broadcast business. In my case, I was usually the "audio guy" who dealt with the reel to reels, cart machines, consoles, etc at the USA FCC licensed broadcast stations.

However, I worked along side with other guys who understood the complexities of broadcast RF transmitters, antenna systems atop 1000' tall steel towers, FCC rules (as well as FAA regulations re painting the towers, required lighting, etc) , etc. Some of it rubbed off on me by "osmosis".

I do NOT understand the OP's concepts. You cannot take an line level audio signal, connect it to an antenna, and expect to propagate a signal more than a few inches in specific examples. That's why transmitters are sold. This is well documented for 100+ years.

Perhaps the OP has a breakthrough invention that totally defies the well documented designs from the past 100+ years.

Whatever.....

Bri
Bri, please tell the story of the church where the CB conversations of the trailers passing used to leak through the PA of the church during service. That one really cracks me up....

To my friend Jose, in the 1970's, I worked for a pro audio company that sold PA systems to various churches as well as building recording studios. I learned a LOT of things with the original Tascam Model 10 mixers we sold to a few churches.

One sticks in my memory. The Big Baptist church was within a mile of an major Interstate highway. Back then CB radio transmitters ( 27 MHz band) were SUPPOSED to be limited to 5 Watts.

Many/most truckers ignored the law. Many ran 1000 Watt "linears" (big transmitters) as they rolled down the interstate.

Imagine during a quiet moment during a prayer at a Baptist church service with hundreds of members in attendance. Very loud and clear through the PA system.....

"BREAKER BREAKER 19! I'm rollin' down I35 through OK City and wanna big titty bitch and a blow job!"

I learned how to fix the Tascam and the rest of the PA to fix RFI problems!

<g>

Bri

Another Tascam Model 10 story. Different church, but it plagued many of us in that time era.

This was a licensed AM radio station running 50KW on 1520 kHz....KOMA in Okla City. HUGE AM signal across the USA coast to coast doing top 40. That was a BOOGER to keep out of anything 5/10/20 miles away.

Bri

Another Tascam Model 10 story. Different church, but it plagued many of us in that time era.

This was a licensed AM radio station running 50KW on 1520 kHz....KOMA in Okla City. HUGE AM signal across the USA coast to coast doing top 40. That was a BOOGER to keep out of anything 5/10/20 miles away.

Bri
Ouch, yes, I remember a similar problem in a studio near a stadium, on game night, you could some times listen to a faint broadcast in the studio monitors.

So how did you end up solving that problem? (PS, considering that the OP is so vague, I guess it is licit to go off-topic)

Ok, I re-read the OP and I think I somehow figured it out what he is asking. Ignoring the whole AUX and antenna thing, I believe he is asking how can he boost the audio in his computer to play a sound file louder. From what I perceive, he is asking for a brick-wall limiter such as a Waves L2.

Last edited:
I am clueless...perhaps it's "loss in different languages" dunno

When I worked doing "ad work" we always wanted to be loud on radio and TV. I concocted multiband analog ideas Just like the AM and FM radio stations were using.

To my friend Jose, in the 1970's, I worked for a pro audio company that sold PA systems to various churches as well as building recording studios. I learned a LOT of things with the original Tascam Model 10 mixers we sold to a few churches.

One sticks in my memory. The Big Baptist church was within a mile of an major Interstate highway. Back then CB radio transmitters ( 27 MHz band) were SUPPOSED to be limited to 5 Watts.

Many/most truckers ignored the law. Many ran 1000 Watt "linears" (big transmitters) as they rolled down the interstate.

Imagine during a quiet moment during a prayer at a Baptist church service with hundreds of members in attendance. Very loud and clear through the PA system.....

"BREAKER BREAKER 19! I'm rollin' down I35 through OK City and wanna big titty bitch and a blow job!"

I learned how to fix the Tascam and the rest of the PA to fix RFI problems!

<g>

Bri
That was awesome. You made me laugh. Thank you.

I REALLY learned at a young age (by myself) how to try and do "RF proofing". Moving around wiring to "ground"> Lotsa ceramic caps etc.

Bri

I REALLY learned at a young age (by myself) how to try and do "RF proofing". Moving around wiring to "ground"> Lotsa ceramic caps etc.

Bri
I had a dilemma, my laptop's power adapter is inducing noise into the speakers of the laptop. It is really annoying. Probably some filtering cap failed inside the adapter. I was debating whether I should follow my DIY spirit and create an external filter (I really do not want to Dremel the thing, because it is painful to put it back together and they always end up looking like a botched plastic surgery; plus, it's more fun to design and build a filter than to fix what is wrong with the adapter) or whether I should buy a new Chinese adapter for $15 USD delivered to my home.

In the end, laziness won; take my money, China.

Latest posts

Back