Audiophile Audiophoolery!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ERMu825m4

Dave Jones on audiophoolery...

His presentation sounds a little hyperbolic but at least he is selling common sense instead of snake oil.

If you think any of that is news I invite you to check out the Audio workshops that Ethan Winer did for AES, I think there are videos of that around.

I used to write an "Audio Mythology" column for a recording magazine back in the '80s. While a lot of the same phoolery was around back then, they didn't have $2,000 power cords for me to debunk yet, so this is constantly evolving, suggesting there is no shortage of phools. 

JR

> that the 100 dollar cable lifts I purchased will not  benefit me? :D

I would not expect any audible difference for only $100.

I have some carefully aged masonry units, and would sell them to the right buyer for much more than $100. Each.

Non-audiophiles might object that these are just the concrete blocks my old furnace was setting on. Doubters don't understand the value of vibrational break-in (that furnace shook a lot) and the virtue of aging in clean Maine air (not that we ever open the cellar windows).

Shame on you  Gurus PRR & JR!  :mad:

Neither of your offerings are hand carved from solid Unobtainium by Maine & MS virgins so can't be any good.

Recently I noticed that my hifi startes to sound bad when I play too much bad music. The guy at my local hifi shop sugested I better listened to music in a tightly sealed total  vacuum room to eliminate all  fracturing of frequencies due to random atoms between speakers and ears. Have been checking the Internet for heavy duty vacuum pumps but not sure what is suitable. Anybody has any suggestions? And how do I solve the breathing problem? Have been thinking about using my scuba diving gear. Should I also wear a full suit or would the rubber absorb too much music?  I calculated a loss of roughly 12 frequencies per bar. How can I improve this? I guess holding my breath while listening to music is best.

Maybe this is the time for me to get some advice regarding future USB cable purchases? I was thinking of getting a Kimber, but after reading this review I'm a little concerned about the 'downbeat presentation' and 'flabby bass'. I mean, this is the word of the UK's largest hi-fi magazine. I'm concerned...

For
Detailed
well-organised

Against
Downbeat presentation
flabby bass

http://www.whathifi.com/kimber/usb/review#

Script said:
Recently I noticed that my hifi startes to sound bad when I play too much bad music. The guy at my local hifi shop sugested I better listened to music in a tightly sealed total  vacuum room to eliminate all  fracturing of frequencies due to random atoms between speakers and ears. Have been checking the Internet for heavy duty vacuum pumps but not sure what is suitable. Anybody has any suggestions? And how do I solve the breathing problem? Have been thinking about using my scuba diving gear. Should I also wear a full suit or would the rubber absorb too much music?  I calculated a loss of roughly 12 frequencies per bar. How can I improve this? I guess holding my breath while listening to music is best.

I see two problems here, you shouldn't be worried about breathing, you will have a heart attack much before you really need to breath again if you are at low pressures. Second, the sound needs the air to travel, or some fluid. I would use some noble gas instead of air, so you don't really need a vacuum pump but a way to exchange the air from your room with rgon which is probably the best option since is close to the density of air and speakers are designed to work with that, maybe you could mix some neon to get the exact frequency response you want, you need a good way to keep that mix balanced and stable. Then you only need to solve the breathing problem.

JS

Nitrogen IS the density of air, and is very cheap.

However if your problem is "bad sound", vacuum is a sure solution. The speakers stop making bad sound (and you stop hearing sound).

PRR said:
Nitrogen IS the density of air, and is very cheap.

However if your problem is "bad sound", vacuum is a sure solution. The speakers stop making bad sound (and you stop hearing sound).

Nitrogen is not noble! It can interact at an atomic level with other things in the room, that's baad, we don't want that to happen when we are listening to music... It's true vacuum would make a nice silent room, someone could shoot you and you wouldn't hear.

JS

We proudly present -- The Argon/Neon EQ -- pump up your life with one breath-taking sonic experience!

This new  generation of noble gas EQ design not only helps differentiate all your finely laser-etched dynamic envelopes. It provides an innovative, grain-free sound stage by degranulizing all ubiquitous convergence.

What can I say: I have to have it. I love smoking my pipe, stuff, caps and cables when listening to music, so I'll absolutely mod this unit with two step-control handles to mix in some of the world's finest oxygen  and stellar hydrogen. This sure solves the breathing problem and, I hope, will deliver that ultimate "mojo" punch, boum and sparkle.

PRR said:
Speaking of bad music, I dream of having an EMP gun to take out those cars with booming systems that always seem to pass by in the middle of the night.  (And to take out the electronics at a night club that opened up nearby and goes boom boom boom until 4:30am on saturdays...).  One of those 2am research projects, I abandoned it when I thought I could accidentally take out some guys pacemaker or something.  PRR, is this even possible?

mitsos said:
PRR said:
Speaking of bad music, I dream of having an EMP gun to take out those cars with booming systems that always seem to pass by in the middle of the night.  (And to take out the electronics at a night club that opened up nearby and goes boom boom boom until 4:30am on saturdays...).  One of those 2am research projects, I abandoned it when I thought I could accidentally take out some guys pacemaker or something.  PRR, is this even possible?
It's probably easier if you hack into their cars computer control and just turn off the sound. It must be possible I see it on TV. ;D If you take out their car with EMP you will have a bunch of pissed off drivers and their cars broken down on the street in front of your house.  When they figure out that you did it they will be even more unhappy.  ;D

JR

Back