B+ from voltage multiplier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winston O'Boogie said:
Hey that's a decent price for that! 
One thing, I do wish heater windings were a tad higher voltage for DC in general.  I know AC mains tends not to drop too much on the whole,  but once you allow for a 10% low line and even using Schottky diodes, it only gives some 1.5 volts for a CRC filter and across a regulator.  Even running heaters at 6V rather than 6.3 and using a low drop out regulator chip, I never feel 100% comfortable the reg won't drop out of regulation when out in the World.
I suppose if it were 7 volts, then the AC guys wouldn't be too happy 🤔  so I understand.
Otherwise 👍

I am with you 100%. Some enterprising company should bring out a range of  2 x 7vac secondary transformers. They could then be used for 6V or 12V dc heaters.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am with you 100%. Some enterprising company should bring out a range of  2 x 7vac secondary transformers. They could then be used for 6V 03 12V dc heaters.

Yes definitely.  In the US I used to get them made for me by Marvel Transformer.  In sufficient qty they were under $20 each.
One of the stores in the White Market could have some made, maybe with a phantom V winding too, and mark them up for a fair profit.

Was just given a recommendation for this guy for a couple of torroids with electrostatic shield.  Haven't contacted yet so no idea on price though:

http://www.canterburywindings.co.uk/standard_range.html

Winston O'Boogie said:
Was just given a recommendation for this guy for a couple of torroids with electrostatic shield.  Haven't contacted yet so no idea on price though:

http://www.canterburywindings.co.uk/standard_range.html

I have used Canterbury windings many times in the past. Always a first class job but not the cheapest because he mainly makes one offs.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I have used Canterbury windings many times in the past. Always a first class job but not the cheapest because he mainly makes one offs.

Cheers

Ian

OK that's good info to have Ian, thanks.  Great that the work is good for future use, but might be a bit rich for my blood at the moment,
Thanks

ruffrecords said:
I am with you 100%. Some enterprising company should bring out a range of  2 x 7vac secondary transformers. They could then be used for 6V 03 12V dc heaters.

Cheers

Ian

+1
yes please

Back