DIY IEC Protection class II units? How to deal with tube voltages in a device without PE?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you going to test that relates to eg. 60065 or other concerns? Is there a plan, or are you just going to ask some questions along the way ?
There is actually a "plan" that I would like to outline tomorrow. This is of course not a professional project, but a DIY project which I will publish here again in a dedicated thread. (if everything works out).

But I'm really interested in building it safely and discussing the pitfalls and regularizations on the basis of this project. This also includes the points you mentioned.

For me it is easier and more interesting to learn with a real project.

A little patience please, it's almost 3.30am here now, it's time for sleep mode.

Safety is half of the story and perhaps, the "easy" stuff.

EMC and EMI is a bloody complex and very pricey rabbit hole.
I think you're right, that will certainly become an topic.

Before I continue with the safety discussion I wanted to check the PSU board more closely. Does it work adequately and can it deliver the promised values? What is the thermal situation under load?

I have built up the almost final circuit for testing this. Ignore the shifted component print, was my first attempt. ;)

Everything looks good so far. I'm feeding the whole thing with a 12V/ 2000mA wall wart switcher.

At the input of the PSU there is therefore 11.9V DC, as a load my circuit has 600mA on the heater and approx. 10mA for the B+ circuit.

This results is a heater voltage of 6.6V and a B+ of up to 297.4V! Thus the PSU successfully fulfills its target specifications of 150-280V/ 15mA and 6.3V/ 1500mA so far.

1000027227.jpg
Thermally, the whole thing is inconspicuous so far.

Let's continue, this is how the basic layout should be later on.
1000027225.jpg
The idea is to build the fx device compactly

Last edited:
Back