BaiFei Li C414 34mm capsule (PCB & Capsule pictures)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damien

Hi,
I just received a BaiFei Li C414 34mm capsule. It sounds nice, and can handle high levels to mike tom toms. This is what I was wondering before pulling the trigger.

I dissasembled it and the circuit is different compared to the 25mm capsule (electret). No transformer here. This circuit is more like a classic Shoeps CMC style because the capsule is not electret :

BFL-C414-34mm-01.jpg

Solder joints are not really good looking but working. As usual there's not a tone of mods you can do, maybe replace the capacitor on the backside with a polystyrene one.

It's all about the capsule with this type of diagram.

Damien

Last edited:
Hi,
I just received a BaiFei Li C414 34mm capsule. It sounds nice, and can handle high levels to mike tom toms. This is what I was wondering before pulling the trigger.

I dissasembled it and the circuit is different compared to the 25mm capsule (electret). No transformer here. This circuit one is more like a classic Shoeps CMC style because the capsule is not electret :

View attachment 134359

Solder joints are not really good looking but working. As usual there's not a tone of mods you can do, maybe replace the capacitor on the backside with a polystyrene one.

It's all about the capsule with this type of diagram.

Damien
Awesome man!

Just from my experience with miking toms, and using Schoeps/LDC combo... It might not always be obvious Schoeps is clipping, as it can clip quite softly depending on the bias. So you might end up with beautifully sounding, soft clipped toms, but clipped toms come with cymbal bleed accentuated. So maybe try adding a pad, just in case...

I bought them just for recording toms because the form factor is ideal and also LDC to get this full hifi sound I like. I need 3 more now for 10" 12" 14" 16".
I'll definitely will add a pad like on the mxl 604 circuit, same with lo cut. switches can go to the enclosure, there's a lot of room for that on the back.
I tried banging really hard on a 13" tom and nothing seemed to distort, at least in a bad way.
I'll take some time and record carefully to provide soundfiles here.
It's not 414 but for 100$ you can ding the mike with your stick it won't be a big deal.
I'll replace the capsule capacitor with a polystyrene and also change the other capa to WIMA, I have a bunch of them already at hand.

Here is some pictures of some of the components on the PCB and the capsule frontside and backside.

NJFET is K30A Y 4A, a copy of Toshiba 2SK30A-Y, this could probably be upgraded too with Xicon film capacitors STYRENE 50V .001uF.

Is anyone familiar with this capsule? Maybe I'll replace them with better ones but I want to know where I start from :)

Thanks!
Damien

BFL-C414-34mm-00.jpgBFL-C414-34mm-03.jpgBFL-C414-34mm-02.jpg

Last edited:
I’m very interested in this topic. I’m curious if any of the Baifei Li/Proar mics can be tweaked or upgraded, how the stock capsule measures, etc. As-is people seem to like them, I have one coming from Alibaba now.

I’m very interested in this topic. I’m curious if any of the Baifei Li/Proar mics can be tweaked or upgraded, how the stock capsule measures, etc. As-is people seem to like them, I have one coming from Alibaba now.

Everything is upgradeable but the question is "is it worth it?"
Since the circuit is based on the ubiquitous Schoeps CMC. Things have been tested before. The major improvement is replacing the capsule capacitor by a styrene one. I'll need to check if transistors deserves an upgrade, now the NJFET is K30A Y 4A is a cheap one you can get for 3 bucks for a hundred... maybe a better one with lower noise floor would be nice but I need to compare the specs with a branded one.
Capsule also can be changed but you'll get a new microphone with another one so for the price, is it worth it? I tested it a little bit in mediocre conditions yesterday and liked it.
I'll do something more serious soon and will post the soundfiles here.

The grill on a real 414 has a very open mesh so doesnt stop things hitting the capsule ,
A few people I worked with over the years swore by a 414 on the snare or toms , the trouble is wood particles from the drum sticks can fly towards the mic at great speed and get stuck to the membrane .

Using high quality condensers to close mic drums has other risks associated too , theres always the chance it takes a direct hit from a rookie .

I generally just go with a 57 on the snare , but if the drummer is using brushes it can be worth trying a condenser ,

Everything is upgradeable but the question is "is it worth it?"
Since the circuit is based on the ubiquitous Schoeps CMC. Things have been tested before. The major improvement is replacing the capsule capacitor by a styrene one. I'll need to check if transistors deserves an upgrade, now the NJFET is K30A Y 4A is a cheap one you can get for 3 bucks for a hundred... maybe a better one with lower noise floor would be nice but I need to compare the specs with a branded one.
Capsule also can be changed but you'll get a new microphone with another one so for the price, is it worth it? I tested it a little bit in mediocre conditions yesterday and liked it.
I'll do something more serious soon and will post the soundfiles here.
Yeah, I don't assume that the economics of it will work out, there are cheaper mods (been meaning to try the Perception mod still). But if there is a simple way to make the mic sound cleaner noise-wise that doesn't cost too much that would be worth exploring at this price point. I actually just got mine yesterday and out of the box it doesn't sound bad, so if anyone proposes an easy swap my soldering iron is ready.

Took apart my 25mm version just for fun and to see what was inside. I believe the Proar that is being sold on Amazon is this version? Sorry if this is information that is redundant or already available.

IMG_3727.jpeg
IMG_3728.jpeg

And the circuit.
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3731.jpeg
    IMG_3731.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Took apart my 25mm version just for fun and to see what was inside. I believe the Proar that is being sold on Amazon is this version? Sorry if this is information that is redundant or already available.
I think this capsule is an old friend. :cool:

I will add your photos to the capsule photo thread, thank you very much!(y)

The 25mm version seems more interesting to me 🤔

Should be quite easy to add some deemphasis and you'll have a nice looking and nice sounding mic

Here is a little recording of the 12" tom and kick 22" (muffled then open) of my Yamaha kit recorded with my laptop a bad Native instrument interface a SPL goldmike preamp and the baiFei Li 34mm. It's straight from the mic, no EQ nothing else. I'll post better takes with my pro computer and interface later.

BaiFei-Li-Drums-Test-02.jpg

View attachment BaiFei Li Tom 12 KICK 22 TEST 01_01.mp3

It sounds really good to me. Kick is really deep and hi end is not pronounced at all even on the tom attacks. I don't notice any distortion at the microphone level. I don't think a mod for a PAD at the capsule is necessary. This is a success to me. Now I need to check the pickup pattern to see if there's a lot of bleed.

Last edited:
I bought 2 of these from Amazon. I ended up getting the 25mm version. And yes, both of mine had the x-fmr circuit as well. I was surprised for a mic at this price point.

I did upgrade the capsule in both to the 34mm electret from JLI (the one that looks like a true condenser). Compared to the stock capsule, the mic now has a bit more punch in the upper mids and a bit more bottom end. Does it sound like a "real" 414? Don't know, don't care. It think it sounds good. Besides, no one cares what gear you use. What matters is that it sounds like you want it to sound. You can always fix it in the mix...

Yeah, those are really cool microphones even if you put their price aside. Their value is way more than that.
I found that the sound I got straight from the microphone was really good in the post above. Kick is full and goes really low, I was surprised. I did not buy it for that but I'm thinking about keeping it for "Kick Front/Out" or buying an extra one for this particular task.

I need to mike a guitar cab to see, same with snare drum. I didn't like it that much on acoustic guitar, the mids were a bit shy.

Last edited:
I bought 2 of these from Amazon. I ended up getting the 25mm version. And yes, both of mine had the x-fmr circuit as well. I was surprised for a mic at this price point.

I did upgrade the capsule in both to the 34mm electret from JLI (the one that looks like a true condenser). Compared to the stock capsule, the mic now has a bit more punch in the upper mids and a bit more bottom end. Does it sound like a "real" 414? Don't know, don't care. It think it sounds good. Besides, no one cares what gear you use. What matters is that it sounds like you want it to sound. You can always fix it in the mix...
I may try getting a JLI electret. Do you know what circuit it is replicating? I am curious if anything can be done to improve it, or what it's attempting to clone.

I may try getting a JLI electret. Do you know what circuit it is replicating? I am curious if anything can be done to improve it, or what it's attempting to clone.
It's probably the JLI electret capsule you're refering to?

https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3412/
https://micbooster.com/microphone-capsules/266-jli-3412-cardioid-electret-microphone.html

Type: Electret
Pattern: Uni
Dimensions (mm): 34.0 x 12.0
Sensitivity (dB): -45 +/-3dB
Sensitivity Reduction (dB): -3dB @ 1.5V
Frequency Response (Hz): 50-20k
S/N Ratio (dB): >60
Impedance (ohms): 2.2K
Current (milliamps): 0.5mA
Standard Voltage (Volts): 1
Maximum Voltage (Volts): 5
Capacitors: None