BaiFei Li C414 34mm capsule (PCB & Capsule pictures)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may try getting a JLI electret. Do you know what circuit it is replicating? I am curious if anything can be done to improve it, or what it's attempting to clone.

I have no idea on the circuit. I doubt they reverse engineered then simplified the circuit from its Austrian namesake. It's likely something tried, true, and very generic. But the board in the 25mm version does have a transformer on it, so it can't be all bad.

Actually, it's this capsule:
https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3413au01/

The added thickness of the green rings made it a royal pain in the ass to get into the head basket. All of the internal plastic that holds the capsule... I ended up designing and 3d printing a whole new one. The capsule needs to go into the head basket at an angle to clear the frame, even after shaving down some of the frame with the Dremmel tool, and the stock piece didn't allow for the twist.

1724278566106.png

If I were to do this mod again, I would use the this capsule instead:
https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3410au/

It looks like the same capsule, but without the plastic decoration glued to the thing (likely is, judging by the numbers and freq. response). I wish I realized this sooner... I'd still need to print the capsule holder, but the capsule would likely fit without the need for the Dremmel tool.

Though I do think it looks pretty sweet when you look through the head basket and see that smooth shiny surface.

20240821_181144.jpg

Here is a little recording of the 12" tom and kick 22" (muffled then open) of my Yamaha kit recorded with my laptop a bad Native instrument interface a SPL goldmike preamp and the baiFei Li 34mm. It's straight from the mic, no EQ nothing else. I'll post better takes with my pro computer and interface later.

View attachment 134660

View attachment 134658

It sounds really good to me. Kick is really deep and hi end is not pronounced at all even on the tom attacks. I don't notice any distortion at the microphone level. I don't think a mod for a PAD at the capsule is necessary. This is a success to me. Now I need to check the pickup pattern to see if there's a lot of bleed.
On the other hand, it sounds to me, you are not really pushing those drums hard?

On the other hand, it sounds to me, you are not really pushing those drums hard?

I'm not a heavy hitter but I was hitting the tom like I would normaly do when recording.
I went from very soft to the strength before it chokes the head with hand at shoulder level when high, so not really gentle neither :)
The tone is on the dark side with the pinstripes.

No noticeable/bad distortion to me with the BFL414.

I'm not a heavy hitter but I was hitting the tom like I would normaly do when recording.
I went from very soft to the strength before it chokes the head with hand at shoulder level when high, so not really gentle neither :)
The tone is on the dark side with the pinstripes.

No noticeable/bad distortion to me with the BFL414.
Sure, if it works for you that's all that matters. I record all kinds of drummers, so i try to stay on the safe side making sure the mics can cover wide SPL range.

Not sure if you have bangers in the room they won't clip, I thought about adding a pad and a low cut in them with micro push buttons on a PCB mounted to the back. Circuit wize it's very easy, just a capacitor to the capsule and a pair of capacitors on the emphasis for the low cut à la MXL603.

You'd get -10dB and low cut at 100Hz.

Back