Ballfinger

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article goes into much more depth:

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2018/01/07/world-running-out-cassette-tape-now-its-being-made-springfield/852739001/

I probably shoulda started a new thread on that, but it's just wacky, tape still hanging on.

Looks like nice kit for sure ,but something like a later Studer 800 series machine or a Nagra if you needed portable would be much easier on the pocket ,even if it might need some renovations to fix up.Otari is another possibillity ,not quite as good as Studer ,but very close ,and they can be found quite cheaply nowadays. Bear in mind also 3600 feet of 1/4 inch tape which gives a little over 15 minutes recording time at 30 inches per second or twice that at 15 ips costs around 50 euros, without noise reduction your dynamic range will be about 85db at best . Still no denying the quality of the analog tape sound and interesting that someone is still making new machines.

Tubetec said:
Looks like nice kit for sure ,but something like a later Studer 800 series machine or a Nagra if you needed portable would be much easier on the pocket ,even if it might need some renovations to fix up.Otari is another possibillity ,not quite as good as Studer ,but very close ,and they can be found quite cheaply nowadays. Bear in mind also 3600 feet of 1/4 inch tape which gives a little over 15 minutes recording time at 30 inches per second or twice that at 15 ips costs around 50 euros, without noise reduction your dynamic range will be about 85db at best . Still no denying the quality of the analog tape sound and interesting that someone is still making new machines.

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.  I'd love to get a Studer, although I probably spent a lot more time searching Otari, just because I've had more experience with them.    I'm really shocked about the cassette thing, though; sometimes, I think I must be living under a rock, I had no idea there was that big an interest in them.  Although, they do still have them on the shelves at the stores, right next to dvds.

I did once use a high end Marantz 3 head 3.5 ips cassette machine to record a buddy doing the songs of Robert Johnson  ,I carefully set the record levels so on the peaks that tell tale rasp of tape compression added its edge to the vocal sound , the 60 db or less dynamic range wasnt an issue once the tunes were faded in and out digitally .

Nice!  I've still got my Vestax 4 track cassette recorder.  Second band I was in, we used it for demos.  It actually did a great job, considering the track width you're dealing with.  I didn't know they also had a 6 track version.  I think we paid around $450, around 1990.  Now that they're making cassettes again, guess I should break it out, lol.  :D

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/vestax-mr44-cassette-multitrack/2945

Robert Johnson is one of those guys that made me almost throw out my guitars, I figured, what's the point?  But eventually, I'd get back on the horse and keep going.  Django is another.

Edit: had to remove hyperlink on Vestax.

Yeah man ,I remember those multitrack cassette tape machines ,the results wernt half bad ,in fact youd be surprised how many bands partially or wholly recorded albums on them. I did bag myself a pair of studer C37's a few years back ,full track mono havent put em to much use as of yet ,but I fancy maybe mastering up some stuff on them ,built like tanks all tube electronics ,there my pride and joy .

The butterfly stereo head config as they called it ,full track mono trumps that for quarter inch,no gap to prevent bias bleed/crosstalk nessessary,its easy to do multiple takes on a mono machine and re-allign later digitally nowadays  ,one inch stereo mastering was as good as it got ever ,but that was rare ,one inch four track for multi aka J37(SGTPeppers) was peak tape/channel width ever ,but you still loose compared to full track mono quarter inch .I heard of a few people over the years who modded their C37's to stereo ,big mistake ,mojo lost big time .

Back