Bauman 1272 gain questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

Hi everybody!
I have a question about the 1272 boards that i was hoping someone could help me with.

Fabio mentioned that his 1272 version is modded have 60db of gain. I read over at gearslutz a post from Geoff Tanner (one of the neve designers) that if you mod the ba238 to have more gain you get a very strange frequency response if you have more than 55dB amplification. Is this something i have to worry about?
So...Please educate this newbie on the matter!

Heres the gearslutz thread for reference:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=28705

And heres the quote from Geoff Tanner that got me worried:
The 1272 1073 wannabees may sound similar up to around 50dB gain but above that gain similarities diminish due to the lack of the extra gain stage that's switched in on the 1073 at 55dB gain.

Also, unless the capacitor on the BA283 front gain boost is increased by a factor of around 6 x, the frequency response will drop off alarmingly as the gain is increased.

That is definitely NOT the Neve sound!

thanks!
/Jonas

Hi, I have some original 1272 modules that give more than 50 dB gain and they sound fine all the way up.

BTW, I find that I rarely need more than 40 dB amplification of any sound source/mic.

I'm finishing a pair of Bauman n1272s. They sound pretty good
to me. Have gain of around 50dB in my setup but I usually
use about 20-30 max.

I certainly havn't noticed any frequency response issues.

Clean and clear with a touch of grain all the way up and down
the spectrum and a serious bottom end. And top end. And middle :thumb:

Just substitute that 470uF cap for a 4700uF one, and you are ready to go for higher gains... Maybe it will sound more colorfull, or distorted for that matter, on highest gains, because of the lack of the intermediary stage, but that´s not always a bad thing, I think...

ok, thanks rafafredd! sounds fairly easy enough :green:

Im thinking of building two channels (i cant really afford it, but the diy bug got me) after i finish two channels of api312 and two channels of Greenpre.

But first i got to sell something to afford it.
/jonas

Back