Bell & Howell Filmosound tubes advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

A friend is coming tomorrow to my place to check some noise in his Bell&Howell Filmosound 179.

Since I suspect it will be tube related and he probably didn't change them for a while I had a look to see what tubes the amp needs.

I have a pair of 6V6s which I think are suitable for this amp but I need to know if the 6SL7s can be replaced with ECC81, ECC82 or ECC83, and if the 5Y3G rectifier can be swapped with a GZ34. Why swap? Well because those are the ones I have around and my friend has got a gig on Saturday (what a surprise!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sono

the 6sl7 is a completely different pinout then a 12ax7(ecc83), it's also different specs. The 6sl7 uses 6V heaters, the 12ax(eccXX) tubes can be 6 v or 12 V heaters.

The 5Y3 and 5AR4 (GZ34) are at opposite ends of the spectrum of the various pin-compatible rectifiers. The 5Y3 has the most voltage drop and the lowest current capacity.

Noise in anything that old is just as easily dirty sockets, carbon resistors.  Pull tubes and put them back in first.  Some of the tubes you mention require socket changes, not at all easy or fast.  Probably some redesign as well. 

Back