Best and most inexpensive choice for Spring / Plate Reverb Drivers and "Microphones" ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shroomystic

Hey to the Community !

I want to tackle two big points in my experimental studio, Plate and Spring Reverb... to get the most out of the hardware experimental possibilities that the audio world provides.
That would be huge to accomplish building two functioning units of either of those.

My biggest problem is finding a fitting transducer (combination) for the plate reverb and a amp to drive it... as well as fitting microphones / a output section.
And as far as the electronics go i bet it would be the best idea to integrate everything into a mixing environment that gives me a few controls over the whole plate reverb unit.
I have enough room to place it, and could also place switch out plates to alter the sound in that way too... that could be really fun. Also thinking about integrating a damping mechanism to alter the sound that way.
I would want to go Stereo !

My goal would be as high fidelity as possible and big as needed for long reverb times. I want to build a big one, and if its possible 1-2 extra smaller ones for more creative purposes.
But the main focus would be a fairly large one in the ballpark of a EMT140 for size comparison reasons.

Same goes for the spring reverb, i have gathered some reverb tanks from different machines, but also bought a Fisherman K10 Tube Preamp Kit...
Now im thinking about also Adding a "home made" spring tank to the whole situation which should / could be housed in any kind of enclosure that makes it fun to interact, i also would like to experiment in sizes of springs and such, but i also dont know, which kind of driver and microphones i should use to get the most out of it.
Stereo would be cool, if thats not possible, Mono.

Any help would be appreciated !

All the best to everybody who reads this !

Theres a contributor here who made their own plate similar to the EMT ,
'plate reverb ' in search should show it up .

Ive found an active DI box with a short patch cable gives good performance from springs ,
keeping them away from magnetic fields is the main issue that spoils noise performance .
I have also rewired my tanks with ungrounded outputs with a TRS jack , and use that to feed balanced mic or line inputs. If your just going hi-z unbal a standard guitar patch lead is fine and automatically shorts one end of the recovery coil to ground .

Latest posts

Back