best capsule for the money to go into a modded MCA SP1 Mic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Curious what I should throw my limited funds into? I just built an EZ1290 pre and now I need a mic to go along with it (vox and acoustic guitars).

Interesting, I couldn't find too much feedback on that capsule. I'd like to try one though!

So if i get a good capsule will it put this mic into another category? I've modded it and like the change but I still don't use it regularly.

Interesting. So I'll end up with SUPER bright then I'd guess. I've read that this is the Schoepps circuit in the SP1.

ACTUALLY... I just read the description on Chunger's page and it's mentioned that this has less of a treble lift than the original and works with a flat circuit.

777funk said:
I just read the description on Chunger's page and it's mentioned that this has less of a treble lift than the original and works with a flat circuit.

I have used a K67 capsule with a 'flat' circuit, but that resulted in an over-bright microphone.
What you will get, is the typical problem with most Chinese microphones: sharp "s" sounds and too much top end.
I would use a K47 or eventually a K7 with a flat circuit.

...I have that 35mm 6-micron K67 capsule that Chunger offers in a few of my mics...it does not exhibit the typical undesireable top-end characteristics found in many of the cheaper chinese K67-type capsules...it should not result in an OVERLY bright (think hashy or brittle) microphone when coupled with flat circuit...still a bit bright BUT surprisingly smooth performance for such a low cost...IMHO, I would classify this capsule as the best of the chinese K67-type capsules being offered for around $100 or so...ask Chunger how it sounded in his 47-clone...

...if you really want to assure yourself a darker result, I'd recommend microphone-parts.com's 32mm 6-micron RK7 capsule (all brass)...this capsule's response is less bright than their 34mm 3-micron RK47, and offers a nice round top-end...

...but if you decide to try Chunger's K67, make sure it fits thru the headbasket opening on the SP1, since it's an oversized 35mm capsule...

I don't mind chopping up the headbasket if it doesn't fit but we'll see. Looking forward to hearing it. I may end up putting the mic back to stock if it doesn't improve it. We'll see!

...if your mod is similar to the Jim William's mod recommended by microphone-parts.com, then the 47-type capsules might be the best option (as Jim preferred them in his own modded SP1 mics)...

I believe that's what it was. I think it really is a good sounding mic as it is. Looking closer at some vocal material I recorded a couple days ago, I think if the final result stinks it's not the fault of the mic.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new capsule.

I've got 2 personally modded Jim William' SP -1s with the orginal capsules.
I posted about a capsule change and the reply was that his circuit was designed for the orginal capsule.
Let us know the results.

When I modded my sp1 I used an rk47 cap, which was a substantial improvement. I also changed out lots of components, using Jim w's recommended replacements. Still not satisfied, I gutted the mic and rebuilt it using the new pcbs from microphone parts kit mpv57.
The result is better than the modded circuit, by a country mile. This improvement may be due to the added care I took with the boards and parts and assembly over modding / re soldering an existing board... Either way, I've ripped apart the sp1 seven ways to Sunday modding it, and the mpv57 kit is the best version of this circuit I've heard. Highly recommended.

Good to hear that.
I just modded a microphone using a Microphone Parts kit, but I don't hear any improvement...
(Maybe I was lucky that I already had a 'good one')

In general I increase the values of the coupling caps between the FET and the output transistors, optimize the FET bias and replace (if applicable) the capsule coupling cap.
But personally I don't see any improvement in using teflon isolated wire for the DC connections...

kidvybes said:
...I have that 35mm 6-micron K67 capsule that Chunger offers in a few of my mics...it does not exhibit the typical undesireable top-end characteristics found in many of the cheaper chinese K67-type capsules...it should not result in an OVERLY bright (think hashy or brittle) microphone when coupled with flat circuit...still a bit bright BUT surprisingly smooth performance for such a low cost...IMHO, I would classify this capsule as the best of the chinese K67-type capsules being offered for around $100 or so...ask Chunger how it sounded in his 47-clone...

...if you really want to assure yourself a darker result, I'd recommend microphone-parts.com's 32mm 6-micron RK7 capsule (all brass)...this capsule's response is less bright than their 34mm 3-micron RK47, and offers a nice round top-end...

...but if you decide to try Chunger's K67, make sure it fits thru the headbasket opening on the SP1, since it's an oversized 35mm capsule...
777funk said:
Interesting. So I'll end up with SUPER bright then I'd guess. I've read that this is the Schoepps circuit in the SP1.

Re Chunger K67, I just got one I have no other K67 to compare to Im almost dissapointed as it doesnt sound overly bright !.......(shouldnt moan really) Great value !.... I have only done a few tests so far, its seems to sound good in flat circuit mics , sounds similar to a Tim cambel I have ....... I wanted a K67 to try in a U87 & U67 mics I have buts sound a little too dull with the feedback engaged......

ACTUALLY... I just read the description on Chunger's page and it's mentioned that this has less of a treble lift than the original and works with a flat circuit.

I just mounted this new capsule and it sounds great! I think it's a lot more natural than the original 22mm capsule.

Got to this later and nobody mentioned this one. I put a cheapo C12'sh into the MXL 2006 (same circuit) and just eliminated the coupling capacitor to the FET. I didn't adjust bias or change anything else out. A quick A/B it sounded less harsh than the  stock 2006. 

Mine also has the coupling cap gone (similar to ZapnSpark Mod - I think it's a popular way to wire a condenser actually). Sounds great! and I really like this capsule compared to the 22mm that was in there.

I need to try out some other transistors as he had listed in his mod procedure. I'd like to play with the polarizing voltage a bit too. I wonder how high is too high there.

I'm not sure but I don't think ZapnSpark mentioned the polarization voltage in his mod tips. I've seen Jim Williams mention it at some point and gaining a little free headroom that way.

Back