Best capsules with a diameter of less than 18mm?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the uptake. I was sorta hoping somebody would validate a choice I made awhile back. . . . :)

I have an old RadioShcak Optimus 33-3017 pencil-style condenser microphone with a poorly performing original 9.7 mm capsule, which I replaced with a 16mm or 18mm capsule from JLI Electronics and it is a BIG improvement. I purchased the microphone on clearance sale for just $11 many years ago, so being a cheap skate, I would like to pay less to restore it than its original catalog price. Surely you understand. :)

But then, maybe I should just dig down and spend what it takes to really improve it. James / K8JHR

I get you, but this is typical schoeps circuit, i've never had an issue with noise. Nor do i know anyone who has.
I'm pretty sure the noise in some of the BM-800s is from the capsules. I think the lower quality ones use cheap noisy electrets. I haven't had a BM-800 or 700 in a while, but I'm pretty sure my iSK CM-10s were noisier than the BM-700 I had.

Thanks for the uptake. I was sorta hoping somebody would validate a choice I made awhile back. . . . :)

I have an old RadioShcak Optimus 33-3017 pencil-style condenser microphone with a poorly performing original 9.7 mm capsule, which I replaced with a 16mm or 18mm capsule from JLI Electronics and it is a BIG improvement. I purchased the microphone on clearance sale for just $11 many years ago, so being a cheap skate, I would like to pay less to restore it than its original catalog price. Surely you understand. :)

But then, maybe I should just dig down and spend what it takes to really improve it. James / K8JHR
Some of the Transound capsules sold by JLI are pretty good. The good Primos like the EM200 (cardioid), and EM272 (omni) are amazing though. The Clippy lavs from MicBooster using Primo capsules (the 264Y cardioid and EM272) sound much better than other lavs on the market, but they're big cause they're using bigger capsules (the EM272 is 10mm), so hiding them is probably quite difficult compared to the higher end lavs that are like 3mm in diameter.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the noise in some of the BM-800s is from the capsules. I think the lower quality ones use cheap noisy electrets. I haven't had a BM-800 or 700 in a while, but I'm pretty sure my iSK CM-10s were noisier than the BM-700 I had.
Three noise sources in the BM700/800 with the cheap capsules (Transound knockoffs; they don't have the 'TS' logo stamped on them): the capsule itself, the fact there's no RC filter between the Zener and FET, and the filter before the output Qs that have series resistors in front of them.
https://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2015/12/20_Modding_a_BM-800_Mic.html
I've experimented with modding these boards to be closer to the classic Schoeps circuit, and with a quieter capsule the results aren't bad. The boards in the Monoprice SC100 and LC100 (both are the same circuit) are much better; dead quiet; all through-hole parts - they'll probably go SMD at some point. Monoprice LC100

Last edited:
Back