Best mic for presenting online tutorials

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicNoob

Hi everyone,
Totally out of my depth here, so please be kind. I know nothing about audio equipment.

I have just been given some responsibilities providing educational resources for an online course. This is partly live video calls (Zoom) and partly pre-recorded videos. In both instances, I will be partly presenting to camera, and partly screen sharing. In both cases, I will be staying in place in front of my computer, no moving around, although since it's a standing desk, I will likely weight-shift a little from side to side.

My environment is quite loud with fans that cannot be turned off (otherwise I will melt). A/C is not an option where I am.

So what I'm looking for is a mic that can capture my voice, hide the noise of the fans, and that doesn't cover my face. The sound quality doesn't have to be spectacular, just clear enough for people to understand without fighting through the ambient noise.

Budget-wise, I'm not sure. Maybe around €200 at the high end, but would prefer closer to €100 if at all possible.

Does such a microphone exist, and can you offer any suggestions (other than turn the fans off and stand in a bucket of ice water, which I'm seriously considering right now).

Thanks!!

For some kind like this tasks some year ago i bought regular blue yeti mic on second hand market. It is cost me like 55$. It is bit noisy mic but there additional some free software for noise cancelation also it is possible place somewhere on desk from side on some distance and it is will working fine. But for good results need this additional software from Logitech. It is available for free on their site.

Hi everyone,
Totally out of my depth here, so please be kind. I know nothing about audio equipment.

I have just been given some responsibilities providing educational resources for an online course. This is partly live video calls (Zoom) and partly pre-recorded videos. In both instances, I will be partly presenting to camera, and partly screen sharing. In both cases, I will be staying in place in front of my computer, no moving around, although since it's a standing desk, I will likely weight-shift a little from side to side.

My environment is quite loud with fans that cannot be turned off (otherwise I will melt). A/C is not an option where I am.

So what I'm looking for is a mic that can capture my voice, hide the noise of the fans, and that doesn't cover my face. The sound quality doesn't have to be spectacular, just clear enough for people to understand without fighting through the ambient noise.

Budget-wise, I'm not sure. Maybe around €200 at the high end, but would prefer closer to €100 if at all possible.

Does such a microphone exist, and can you offer any suggestions (other than turn the fans off and stand in a bucket of ice water, which I'm seriously considering right now).

Thanks!!
There is unfortunately no magic bullet for avoiding surrounding noise. You need a cardioid microphone, which picks up sound from in front of it. That doesn't mean it will eliminate all the noise coming from the rear. Placement will play the largest role. You need a mic that will be as close to your mouth as possible. Maybe a Shure SM35. It will need phantom power since it's condenser. If you don't have phantom power you can go for dynamic version like WH20. There are some that are even smaller so even more discrete.

Popular choice for this purpose is Shure sm7b, but it is bulky and more expensive. Depending on where you live, and if the size isn't an issue BC500 can be a great inexpensive alternative.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_t.bone_bc_500.htm

It seems your environment is so harsh that the only mic you can use is a bone-conduction mic. These can be found in other harsh environments, like jet fighters. Fortunately, these aren't expensive. From 50 to 100$. Jabra is the one brand that comes to mind, but there are certainly others.

I don't know what else you've tried so far, but a headset mic is a starting point.

For instance: Poly Blackwire C3210 USB

USB so should be simple to use, claims to be a 'noise cancelling' microphone, visually unobtrusive. But mainly cheap so you won't have wasted much money. You won't be getting broadcast audio quality at this price point.

(Disclaimer: this just came up in a search, I have no affiliation with the seller or manufacturer)

Latest posts

Back