beyerdynamic))))

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to note that the circular coil structure is in theory, the best way to go, as far as uniform field, ease of winding, etc. but, as you know, not too many people wind this way. They like the inner layer to be a close as possible for max coupling.

In this case, the distance between the sec and core balances the distance between the pri and core. And the pri is now closer to the outside legs of the core, where the mag field set up by the ribbon motor current can impart a signal.

The tiny core seemed heavy, I wob=der if there is any cobalt in there.
Do any of you guys over there have access to someone I could email at Beyer to ask a few tech questions, or are they pretrty tight lipped?
I woiuldn't be, as there is no way in heaven that anyone in their right mind would ever attempt to reproduce this transformer, in fact, without the weird lams, I do not see how. Better to buy it if possible.

I could not count sec turns due to the wicked varnish, gosh darnit. I hate when that happens, but I guess we can experiment with a different sec turns count underneath a 10 turn primary, ehh?

Hmm, I always suspected beyer of using alien technology :wink:

I wrote an email to someone at beyerdynamic asking if there's a technican who is able and willing to explain the above questions. But I got an automatic reply that my contact person is currently out of office.

CJ, what happened to your avatar? Isn't that someone else's?

Thamnks Rossi!
This should be very interesting.
I bet they have a jig that grabs the bobbin, whiuch has a slit for placing it over the core, tjhaty grabs the edgeds and winds it automatically, instead of someone just turning the bobbin by hand.

Thanks, Dave! :guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

The article contains some good info: CJ's right; the lams are one piece, the bobbin is two parts glued together, and the coil is wound by rotating the bobbin.

well I'll be an SOB.
Thought about this, but never imagined people actually did it.
I guess the one piece lam means ultra low core loss=less insertion loss.
Also probably less distrortion with the round coil and the one piece lam.
I hope some poor slob didn't have to wind those by hand.
Wait a minute, thats what I have to do in order to rewind this, wait another minute, the lams are toast!

Thats OK, I still have 3 more Beyers, and about a dozen Haufes.
:green:

here is whats left, which i doubt I can make go right.

beyer_ribbon_sec.jpg

Latest posts

Back