Bloo 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

A former forum member dropped by to see me yesterday. -About 8 years ago, while I was building my two Bloo 1176 units, he was interested in DIY, and wanted to get in on the idea of a 'group build', so he also bought the same stuff as I did, but for a single unit.

This was the Purple Audio MC76 circuit board, a new-old-stock O-12 input transformer, the UA/UREI output transformer, the Modutec meter, as well as the pots and switches etc.

He left to travel the world about 7 years ago, before I finished my units. All the while during his travels, his Bloo 1176 project sat un-built. About a year ago he contected me and asked if I'd be interested in buying the parts from him... -Of course, I said "you bet!"

My two 1176s have turned out to be the 'hairyest' sounding 1176's that I've ever used. -They're absolutely unique, and -for whatever reason- sound different to Purples, UA's UREIs and every other version which I've heard... and I've probably used about a hundred genuine UREIs, a dozen or two Purples, and lord knows how many UA reissues... I reallly have no idea whatsoever WHY this one sounds so different... no guesses whatsoever whether it's the transformer, some mistake in assembly, or what the heck it is... but they both exhibit the same 'hairy' sound, and people seem to absolutely LOVE it on guitars...

Here again are some pictures of them when I was first assembling them... -you can see the parts in the background for my then 'still-in-development' "Ultimate" SSL clone...\

1176guts.jpg

1176switch.jpg

1176front.jpg

...and recently, I took them down for use by the incomparable Mick Glossop:

Mick-Keith-Rack.jpg

Again, they were used quite a bit on guitars during that session.

Anyhow, My plan right now is to build this third one up, and this time try to see WHY it sounds so 'hairy'. I'll be taking measurements and looking for what component has what effect, with a view to trying to replicate the result in other units, if people wish.

For now though, here's a photo of some of the stuff. -The only major things it seems to still need are a power transformer and a set of meter switches... I think this may be the last remaining unbuilt 'Bloo' 1176...

IMG_7218.jpg

Will keep you all posted.

Keith

hi keef,
this sounds like an interesting task.  it looks like the NOS Purple MC76 PCB of this third build is a different version than your previous build and there are many caps soldered on the PCB that are different. 
will you be replacing all the caps with the exact same caps as your previous builds from the beginning or just continue the NOS/new build and begin testing and replacing and testing again to see where the "hairy" signature starts to grow/sprout/emerge?  :D
looking forward to this.
kind regards,
grant

Good eye!

-The difference between the board layouts was -I am  led to believe- caused by the relocation of the stereo link socket connections being mounted on the PCB in the 'newer' version.

This 'shoved' everything over to the right and caused a 'ripple' effect in the layout... but the circuit is unchanged. My plan is to build it largely as-is, and then see if the hair is still there. -That quickly allows me to ignore or concentrate on the PCB... -A sort of quick 'litmus test'.

By the way, -did you know that the guy with me in the second-to-last picture produced the Wonder Stuff? -I never worked with TWS, but Mick and I did work together on 'The Waterboys'. -One of my favourite creations of all time!

-I remember that when first single was released from the only album which I ever produced professionally (meaning "as the album's producer") it was the same week that 'Size of a cow' was released... I heard 'Size of..' and knew instantly that I was still a novice. -I abandoned production and went right back to engineering.

The man's an absolute LORD. (as well as being a professor at Leeds College of Music these days!)

Keith

...what's this though? -A UREI graphic EQ???

IMG_7230.jpg

Nobody wants those any more...!

OFF with the front panel!

IMG_7231.jpg

...OUT with the guts!!!

IMG_7232.jpg

...and IN with the lovely Bloo majesty!!!

IMG_7233.jpg

Keef

...anyone looking for a UREI graphic EQ can have the guts from this one. -If nothing else, the front panel makes an acceptable rack-filler! ;)

There are a couple of dozen inductors, and though I haven't measured inductance and DC resistance, there may well be enough to make a switchable EQ... -Who knows?

Anyone interested in the bits?

Keith

How many guys are doing DIY in the kitchen now?  Every rack shot seems to be sitting on a granite counter with mustard garnishing the background, or a screwdrivers mixed with silverware...  :D  I guess I'll have to renovate my kitchen in order to get more DIY workbench space.

Just teasing.  And a bit envious... (I've got a 70 year old original vintage moldy grouty tile counter that's gotta go...) Thanks for the thread.  ;)

SSLtech said:
...anyone looking for a UREI graphic EQ can have the guts from this one. -If nothing else, the front panel makes an acceptable rack-filler! ;)

There are a couple of dozen inductors, and though I haven't measured inductance and DC resistance, there may well be enough to make a switchable EQ... -Who knows?

Anyone interested in the bits?

Keith

I would like that, can you ship to Denmark ;)

How much do you want for it?? ;)

- Frederik

Hi all ! I've hit the search button + the google button , but I haven't found real infos about those bloo machines.Could someone point me the right direction to be educated towards them please ?
:)

Bloo made DIY kits for the 1176 and LA2A early on, it has been quite awhile since you could procure one of these. Steve Yost was the giant behind Bloo, I believe, used to be around here a lot from what I understand... We'll just have to wait for Keef to unlock it's darkest secrets.

SSLtech said:
By the way, -did you know that the guy with me in the second-to-last picture produced the Wonder Stuff? -I never worked with TWS, but Mick and I did work together on 'The Waterboys'. -One of my favourite creations of all time!

-I remember that when first single was released from the only album which I ever produced professionally (meaning "as the album's producer") it was the same week that 'Size of a cow' was released... I heard 'Size of..' and knew instantly that I was still a novice. -I abandoned production and went right back to engineering.

The man's an absolute LORD. (as well as being a professor at Leeds College of Music these days!)

Keith

;D  yes i did know.  and i too was impressed with his production of TWS "Never Loved Elvis".  eventhough i loved the first two albums by TWS, the production on "Never Loved Elvis" was quite remarkable and I have to say was one of their best.  now i must pull that CD out and enjoy it all over again. 
thank you keef!

sorry OT.
carry on...

Not at all... I'm a great admirer of Mick's stuff, and I enjoyed TWS immensely.

Mick seemed to enjoy the 1176's; I 'warned' him that they were a bit 'hairy' sounding, but sad nothing about what people seemed to enjoy them on.

After a few days I heard hat he was enjoying them on guitars, and I told him that guitars are what everyone else seems to really like them on. (I didn't want to 'steer' him with 'suggestion', but was delighted that he 'agreed'.)

Oh, and I never knew until that session that he also sings 'backing vocals' on 'Size of a cow'... -apparently at the band's insistence! -You live and learn!

Tomorrow, I'll get a set of nuts or the front panel pots, and get some more progress. -I need to order the switch banks as well...

Keith

Steve is flying in nasal cocktails for escobar in a DC4, last time i heard.

or was it the medellian cartel?

or caro quintero?

he took over Barry Seal's old route after he got whacked at the salvation army.

same airport as the hijackers, venice.

Latest posts

Back