Bought an original U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
I have a mighty good wife!!!

Here it is. After YEARS of yearning, and two years of serious looking, it is now in my grubby little hands.

ENTIRELY original mic (original K47, VF14, BV08, and all head amp components)
February 1961 - Telefunken badged

It spent the first part of its life at Finland's national public Yleisradio. In then made its way in to Klaus Heyne's personal collection, which is whom I purchased it from. So you know it's immaculate.

Here's a little video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzZUj93wus&feature=youtu.be

Congrats sounds good, but the preamp probably needs an upgrade now. Just kidding.
Enjoy this wonderful mic.

Congrats on the mic -- but I just wanted to say that your performance in the video was really quality. :) I'm really impressed with how balanced your voice is with the guitar, I've struggled mightily with volume balance in single mic setups quite a bit.

midwayfair said:
Congrats on the mic -- but I just wanted to say that your performance in the video was really quality. :) I'm really impressed with how balanced your voice is with the guitar, I've struggled mightily with volume balance in single mic setups quite a bit.
Ditto - a really nice performance and recording quality. I reckon some was the mic, but mostly was you.

That sounds great .  The real deal.  Once in a lifetime find and purchase. Having the VF14 is magic.  And it’s in the right hands hearing the quality of your performance.

Having used several of the U47 copies, it is clear now to me why they don’t hold a candle to the original. That low end is TIGHT on the U47. The others try to replicate that, but they just sound mushy. It isn’t the same sound as just boosting 60Hz in an EQ.

And the midrange has such high resolution.

I’m convinced.

It’s the VF14!  I had 2 in a studio . One with VF14 and one with a nuvistor.  That low end and clear midrange is the VF14.  It was clear using them side by side.  They were close serial numbers.  You want to make something make a VF14. Thos EF tubes are not the same. 

You should have waited to pull the trigger and gone one better. There is a U48 currently for sale at the moment that was signed by two of the Beatles. People often underestimate the sonic qualities of signature ink.

Latest posts

Back