Bourns or Clarostat...Your opinions please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteiger

White Market Member
I'm not sure where to post this question, so here goes.

I have a vintage API desk I have been rebuilding/restoring for almost the last year. I have decided to re-switch and re-pot nearly the entire desk. I have done/am doing, a few mods to the input channels and also on the monitor cards.

Basically, I'll need 400-10K log pots and 70-10K center detent pans. I've also decided to replace the 25K reverse log mic gain pots while I'm at it.

I figure it'll be good for another 35-40 years and I'll be taking the big dirt nap by then. :wink:

Anyhow, I have priced out the Clarostat 388 series from State and the Bourns 53 series from Mouser/Digi. I will get 500 of the 10K logs...(the last 100 is essentially free from State)

To compare:
From State, 500-10Klog, 70-10K dbl gang center detent pan, and 34-25K rev log is $5976 plus shipping. (With friction washers BTW)

From Digi, 500-10Klog, 250-10K dbl gang center detent pan, and 250-25K rev log is $5347 plus shipping. (Minimum of 250 on the customs)

That’s a huge frickin’ cost difference when you look at the whole thing.

Is Clarostat really that much better of a pot?

I know my desk had mostly Clarostat originally with a couple of AB’s here and there.

My slut side says make it right and use the Clarostats but my damn check book says group buy on the Bourns and save some cash. It’s really a lot of $$ difference. If I sold the pans and mic gains that I don’t need, at cost, I would save $2800 over the Clarostats. Not too mention, the extra 100 10K logs I really don’t need.

Damn. What ta do, what ta do????? :?

i would say that the quality of both is actually equal. the major difference, other than cost, is in the feel of the rotation. the default clarostat feel is smooth but with light resistance, which to some people feels cheap. the default bourns feel is much more resistant, with a heavily damped feeling, that some find pleasing, others too difficult to turn, especially with very small knobs.

a big part of the difference in cost is that state builds the pots to your order, whereas bourns makes them at the factory (hence the higher minimum quantities).

i would recommend that you contact jens at eisen audio. he may be able to sell you some bourns pots in the values you need, at least to get a feel for what you'd be ordering. DO NOT make your final order without physically trying out at least something like what you're thinking of ordering.

ed

Good idea about Jens. Thanks Ed. Didn't think about that.

I've read and searched a lot everywhere. I would definetly want to try the Clarostats with the friction washer. I have used new gear with the basic Clarostats and they suprisingly do feel "cheap".

A current gear "manufacturer" did some work on this desk for previous owner. He replaced the input side Cue sends with Bourns 51 linears. They do feel nice, just operate a little weird...I suppose because they are not log. I won't mention the shafts being 1/4" to long. I guess he could have cut them.

The old AB pots that are on the old monitor cards actually feel great. The current 5/8" style would not fit on the 3/4" style cards.

The wait is also 8-10 weeks longer for Bourns.

Thanks. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back