Bracket for wood and metal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

When building a mixer I would have a metal cheek at the left and the right. Across the top of the mixer, between the two cheeks, I want to fit a piece of trim wood to make it look nice. As there is lots of wiring underneath this wood I want to ensure it is easy to gain access so I want to be able to easily remove and re-fit the wood. I am thinking of some sort of angle bracket fitted to the metal cheeks but instead of just screwing into the wood I would like some fixing that allows the wood to be removed and re-fitted at a later date from the outside.

Any ideas?

Cheers

ian

What about magnets... I mean, stick the magnets to the wood with some glue that fits or simply screw a iron piece on the wood and a dedicated steel piece on the desk so the magnet lock them both toghether. Small neodymium magnets should keep your wood on place, just be caerfull to not place magnet near TX to not disturb anyone. Some gum between the magnet and iron will make a softer touch.

JS

PS: check here! http://dx.com/p/10050053w-dual-hole-rectangular-strong-magnet-silver-228856

Hi ian,
  Do plan to enclose the side cheeks with wood as well?  If you add an inside lip under you top so it does not move from left to right or from back to front it will hold with gravity and you can lift it easily.

Regards,

Pierre

Yes, I will have wooden end cheeks and the plan is that the top piece fits between them so it won't be able to move left/right - I guess that's just a big lip really LOL

I like the magnets idea. I seem to remember from long ago you used to be able to get magnetic plastic strip that you could glue onto a surface.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers

Ian

You probably tough of the already but in order to improve accessibility even more how about using a swivel like this
145593707-40.jpg

for a back panel? That was my original plan...

Regards,

Pierre

Ian, if you need help with CNC'd wood parts, shoot me a pm.  That's my biz and I owe you one after all your help with the Pultecs.

Why not use machine screws to attach wood to bracket. Clearance hole thru wood. Then drill and tap hole for screw in your bracket.countersink wood for flathead machine screw or use a finish washer. If you are strongly adverse to seeing the screws there are some other ways to go

Ian,

I made the side panel on our bath clipping with magnets. However, the thin strips of sheet magnet will probably not have sufficient holding torque. I used them in the past. There are magnet/metal plate assemblies for this very application that I used. I think I have a pair of them left. If you want to experiment I'll happily send them to you. I too owe you one. PM me your address as my PC died on me on Friday and I have not been able to recover my e-mails yet.

There are also plastic plug/socket assemblies for this application. I'll dig out my furniture catalogues and see what's suitable.

But I'd go with seavote's suggestion and just use screw caps to hide the screws. In fact you can even get screws with screw-in dome caps in Chrome, White and Black. B&Q will have them

ruffrecords said:
Yes, I will have wooden end cheeks and the plan is that the top piece fits between them so it won't be able to move left/right - I guess that's just a big lip really LOL

I like the magnets idea. I seem to remember from long ago you used to be able to get magnetic plastic strip that you could glue onto a surface.

Thanks for the ideas.

Cheers

Ian
I would not rely on these flexible strips; they need to be mated to a substantial piece of metal and lose efficiency as they gather dust.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=110
I have used this type of magnets successfully in heavy-duty applications (stage monitors)

anjing said:
You probably tough of the already but in order to improve accessibility even more how about using a swivel like this
145593707-40.jpg

for a back panel? That was my original plan...

Regards,

Pierre

Yes, something like a piano hinge had occurred to me. You still need a means to hold it shut.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a pair and I will post them tomorrow.

However, please check the below links from a company called Moss Express which I regularly purchase parts from.

Obvioulsy you don't need to use the metal plate as the magnet will click onto the frame.

This withstands up to 4Kg.
http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/metal-magnetic-catch

Large one, withstands  up to 15Kg.
http://www.mossexpress.co.uk/large-surface-mounted-catch

Edit. I have just noticed Abbey's link. Great stuff.

On a similar thing I use magnets that I removed from discarded hard drives on the mill for clamping/positioning parts. Warning. They are extremely powerful and be very careful when using them. I got my finger tip jammed between the two of them and I was screaming in pain. In a panick I reached out to the screw driver to lever them apart but of course it also clunged onto the magnet. Doh!

Latest posts

Back