British House of Commons

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

I have listened to the debate all day.  I have heard speakers both for and against extending British involvement into Syria.

I have heard speakers ranging from  great passion and eloquence to those of weasel words.  There are some who seem to have their finger on the pulse and those to whom it's all too much to take in.  It is of course Democracy in action but it's scary to watch because so many don't seem up to speed, there are people on this forum who know more about what's going on in the world.  Maybe it's because we are all techies at heart that we like to know how things work.

What comes across to me is that the Iraq debacle has seriously f***ed up all our decision  making. 

For some people on the left even the UN resolution 2249 is not enough justification to get involved.

Some people want certainty of outcome in a world where certainty is not on offer.

France, our closest ally, has asked for our help, but some are not moved by that request.

We are a member of the Security Council and with that privilege comes a responsibility, some don't seem to appreciate what that means.

Hillary Benn just gave an outstanding speech worthy of a party leader and better than anything his father ever did.

Do our American Cousins find the same things in their Congress??

Best
DaveP

> find the same things in their Congress??

Probably worse.

However, after all the dweebs have had their say, I bet 6 or 8 smart-guys decide what is best for the country and manipulate the outcome. These guys will be in touch with Barack/Elizabeth to know what they favor. (Liz's powers are limited and she rarely uses even that, but she is known to be intensely interested and has long-term experience generally lacking in elected officials.)

Also remember that even the dweebs politick-ed their way to a seat. They may not really object to action; but feel a great need for road-money in their district. So after their speech, the smart-guys take him aside and slice him a piece of money; then "after further study" the dweeb supports the action.

Vote taken in a way that would have been familiar in 1715, so nice  to see the progress we've made over the last 300 years. (cough) I can get a secure connection to my bank quicker than they can vote :eek:

397 for 223 against.

We have joined the coalition against Daesh.  Beheadings, Gays thrown off roofs, rape of under age girls, sexual slavery, murder of old Yazidi women, burning a pilot alive, thousands of murders, makes you wonder what more would be necessary to make some people vote for action.

I feel alienated from so many groups in the UK, I'm glad I don't live there any more and have it in my face all the time.

DaveP

DaveP said:
makes you wonder what more would be necessary to make some people vote for action.

I think you missed an important point. Few, if any were in favour of inaction. What was being debated what what is the right action to take. A subtle but important distinction.

Cheers

Ian

No Ian,
I did not miss that point, Hillary Benn's incredible speech summed up my thoughts.  But I am well aware that there are very many of them who are fundamentally opposed to the use of hard power under any circumstances.  Even if Ban Ki Moon came round and personally stamped approval on their arses they would find some other reason why they should not use it.

The most important thing is that we present a united front to Daesh and support our Allies when they need our help.

It is obvious to me that air power is only a holding action until the various nations get their act together and provide ground forces.

The people you are referring to, are counselling perfection when none is possible, if you wait for that then action recedes into the far distance, which suits them fine.

DaveP

There's no solid evidence that air strikes will create increased security for the people of the UK, in the UK  There  isn't. 

The argument that Britain is going to war to stop these things

Beheadings, Gays thrown off roofs, rape of under age girls, sexual slavery, murder of old Yazidi women, burning a pilot alive, thousands of murders

simply isn't true. 

On a separate but important note, hearing 397 MPs CHEERING at the prospect of dropping bombs in Syria when the vote went through was utterly, utterly shameful. 

In the short term, it will probably encourage more miscreants to come out of the woodwork true, but in the long term it will reduce their money supply from oil and their ability to export and finance terrorism, it will take many years.

You seem to be confused about RAF bombing, in Iraq they brought their bombs back 3 times more than they dropped them because of their rules of engagement.  Consequently, there has not been one civilian casualty.  Their first target was oil field machinery you might have noticed?

They weren't cheering because they enjoyed bombing, they were cheering because they won the argument.  What is shameful is doing nothing about innocent people being murdered.  I can't understand how you can criticise people who are acting after much debate and soul searching, but you have nothing to say about Daesh.

DaveP

DaveP said:
In the short term, it will probably encourage more miscreants to come out of the woodwork true, but in the long term it will reduce their money supply from oil and their ability to export and finance terrorism, it will take many years.
I hope it doesn't take many years!  I read those bombs cost £800,000 each and there's much better stuff to spend the money on.

You seem to be confused about RAF bombing, in Iraq they brought their bombs back 3 times more than they dropped them because of their rules of engagement.  Consequently, there has not been one civilian casualty.  Their first target was oil field machinery you might have noticed?
I did read  that the first target was oil fields.  Seems like a great first target while so much (potentially negative) attention is being focused on the bombing raids. 

Fallon's statement was that reports  say that estimates of civilian casualties were zero.  Excuse my scepticism,  but I'm interested to know how the independent monitors who provide data for these reports would report any civilian deaths from ISIS strongholds in Iraq.  Are any monitors even there?  So I think a much more accurate way to put it is 'no reports of civilian casualties' which I put into an entirely different category than 'no civilian casualties'.

They weren't cheering because they enjoyed bombing, they were cheering because they won the argument.  What is shameful is doing nothing about innocent people being murdered.  I can't understand how you can criticise people who are acting after much debate and soul searching, but you have nothing to say about Daesh.
I don't think we share the same views on those people's motivations, morals or incentives for Britain to take part in bombing raids in Syria.

DaveP said:
I have listened to the debate all day.  I have heard speakers both for and against extending British involvement into Syria.

I have heard speakers ranging from  great passion and eloquence to those of weasel words.  There are some who seem to have their finger on the pulse and those to whom it's all too much to take in.  It is of course Democracy in action but it's scary to watch because so many don't seem up to speed, there are people on this forum who know more about what's going on in the world.  Maybe it's because we are all techies at heart that we like to know how things work.
Representative government is messy, and many in office are poorly, or mis-informed. Not that we have perfect knowledge. In an ideal world they are better informed than we by the intelligence community.
What comes across to me is that the Iraq debacle has seriously f***ed up all our decision  making. 
I really hate how history gets re-written to push different political conclusions and agendas. I realize that the UK had a slightly different experience in IRAQ. IIRC the british forces were concentrated in southern Iraq,
For some people on the left even the UN resolution 2249 is not enough justification to get involved.
Indeed... both polar extremes exist with perma-hawks around too.
Some people want certainty of outcome in a world where certainty is not on offer.
Certainty in warfare does not exist, because the enemy gets a vote too.

Fighting in Syria is "really" complicated as has already been discussed in another thread. ISIL has been tolerated and even supported by the Assad regime as a useful decoy to draw attention from him and his behavior. It appears the Assad regime has been buying oil from ISIL, and preferentially targeting anti-Assad rebels over ISIL. . 
France, our closest ally, has asked for our help, but some are not moved by that request.
NATO membership should compel other members to come to their assistance but there is a school of (political) thought that we should just tolerate a number of these terrorist attacks as the new normal, and deal with them as isolated crimes not coordinated acts of war. 
We are a member of the Security Council and with that privilege comes a responsibility, some don't seem to appreciate what that means.
The security council has long been influenced by competing interests. China and Russia as permanent members  make agreement difficult. At the moment among the smaller members I don't see Venezuela as being very supportive.
Hillary Benn just gave an outstanding speech worthy of a party leader and better than anything his father ever did.

Do our American Cousins find the same things in their Congress??

Best
DaveP
To be honest, we don't have the same kind of public open outcry debate like you do. We are already active in the region from the air, so arguments if any would be about degree. Perhaps we should review the rules of engagement that are severely limiting the effectiveness of the already limited air campaign. I believe the US just announced another 50 special forces in the region while the US force level in Iraq has slowly ramped up to a few thousand (3,500?).

The campaigner in chief is more aggressive about fighting climate change than ISIL, but I have noticed one nuanced change. Lately he has started calling them Daesh, instead of ISIL. Daesh is considered pejorative by them so at least more disrespectful language if not action (but he is similarly disrespectful of Republicans). 

There are several huge elephants in the room.

-Russia bringing anti-aircraft batteries into Syria raises the question of why. Apparently to prevent western air campaigns against Assad. Russia recently sold anti-aircraft weapons to Iran which will complicate any military intervention against their nuclear program.

-Where is the support from other countries in the region. Why do all the refugees get funneled up to the EU and other western countries, not the nearby middle eastern countries, with the exception of while passing through?

-Who is going to provide the boots on the ground? Ground troops to be effective, and provide long term security need to come from the region, and remain in place for years. The west is more than willing to rain armaments from above, but ISIL has already adjusted to that by digging in underground so any real conclusion to this will require effective ground forces (like the Kurdish peshmerga in retaking Sinjar).  But Turkey and even Baghdad is apprehensive about too much Kurdish power in the region.

-Another example about the severely limiting rules of engagement, the Iraqi army has been dropping leaflets on Ramadi warning of the imminent plan to retake Ramadi from ISIL. ISIL in classic fighting dirty response, has threatened to kill any civilians who try to leave, so they will remain and serve as human shields. These are bad people, and it will be difficult to surgically remove them after they have dug in. Difficult but not impossible, they have been pushed back by effective ground campaigns when mounted. 

The air campaign is mostly a feel good demonstration of "see we are doing something" . The recent strategic shift to bomb oil trucks and oil infrastructure is a slightly more productive effort to reduce cash flow to ISIL, but the real focus should be on who is buying all that oil? While I don't see much recourse against Assad, Turkey needs to seal their border with Syria and stop the smuggling there. 

Interesting times, but until we see an effective (regional/local) ground force this will just be more of the same. Now that Russia has Assad's back, he will likely regain power and survive his civil war in Syria. Russia in providing that support is actively bombing western assets and western supported forces.  Adding western ground troops to the mix invites direct conflict with Russia. We almost forget Iran in this noise, but they are also on the ground there supporting Assad. 

I am not very religious, but if you are, now would be a good time to pray.

JR

Russia bringing anti-aircraft batteries into Syria raises the question of why

I thought that was to deter Turkey from shooting down any more of its planes.  That's got to be one of the most inept judgements by a government  in recent years.  A simple cost/benefit analysis would have revealed it was not a wise decision to make.  It also made no sense to me to take on two enemies at once Daesh and the Kurds, Nato will not want to get dragged into a conflict caused by bad decision making.

You have raised a lot of relevant questions that must be addressed in the coming weeks and months by our leaders once the climate conference is out of the way.

DaveP

DaveP said:
Russia bringing anti-aircraft batteries into Syria raises the question of why

I thought that was to deter Turkey from shooting down any more of its planes.
The new advanced system was announced in Sept,,, but apparently they placed an older system there in 2013. So it was not a reaction to recent events, but strategic against western aircraft assets (including Israel ?).
That's got to be one of the most inept judgements by a government  in recent years.  A simple cost/benefit analysis would have revealed it was not a wise decision to make.
Turkey has a history of conflict with Russia. It appears Russia violated Turkey's air space repeatedly and ignored warnings. Not a good outcome but unclear that Turkey instigated the incident by themselves.
It also made no sense to me to take on two enemies at once Daesh and the Kurds, Nato will not want to get dragged into a conflict caused by bad decision making.
Turkey does not appear to be aggressively targeting ISIL. More worried about Kurds. Porous border helps ISIL. (and apparently Turkey).
You have raised a lot of relevant questions that must be addressed in the coming weeks and months by our leaders once the climate conference is out of the way.

DaveP
Perhaps the need to pass stricter gun control legislation in Syria.  8)

JR

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/turkey-shoots-down-russian-plane-astrophysicists-say-both-official-accounts-are-partially-a6752741.html

JohnRoberts said:
Matt Nolan said:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/turkey-shoots-down-russian-plane-astrophysicists-say-both-official-accounts-are-partially-a6752741.html
I'm shocked  8)

JR
Ha ha! Me neither  ;)

Actually, I first heard the news about the aircraft downing on this forum, I think. I wWent and read an article about it and the two conflicting stories and thought immediately that, within a couple of days, someone with a half decent grasp of physics will give us a third story based on where the plane hit the ground.

Matt Nolan said:
JohnRoberts said:
Matt Nolan said:
I'm shocked  8)

JR
Ha ha! Me neither  ;)

Actually, I first heard the news about the aircraft downing on this forum, I think. I wWent and read an article about it and the two conflicting stories and thought immediately that, within a couple of days, someone with a half decent grasp of physics will give us a third story based on where the plane hit the ground.
If you look at a map of the specific area where the incident took place, there is a finger of land where Turkish territory juts into Syria, this ownership is disputed, and reportedly Assad owns some property in this disputed section.
_86870461_russian_plane_shot_down_624_v2.png

A jet flying a straight line path in Syria, can fly through the Turkish airspace, much too quickly for 10 warnings.

As usual it's complicated.

JR

Listen to the comparison of what we are doing against Daesh, compared to past conflicts.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34916209

This is why they say it will take a long time,  in the past they didn't care so much about collateral damage.

DaveP

Asymmetrical warfare where the bad guys hide behind civilians is not new.

As I mentioned recently ISIL is killing any civilians that try to leave Ramadi (Iraq)  in advance of an expected attack by iraq military (working with Sunni fighters).  ISIL uses our "good guy" rules of engagement against us. (just like many insurgent groups)

To take back territory against such an evil organization means there will be some collateral damage. Of course not taking it back results in injury to the civilian population from allowing the status quo.

There are two schools of though, one says this is just the new normal so needs to be policed not conquered.  The other is that ISIL has taken on the trappings of a nation, and declared war on the west, so that warring nation needs to be conquered.

I lean toward the latter view.

JR 

as Russian pilot was heading directly to Turkish airspace.
warnings started 25 miles ahead, normally starts 10 miles ahead...

DaveP said:

DaveP

FWIW a few paragraphs of Benn's speech were printed in the Wall Street Journal editorial section. 

JR

Back