[BUILD] 1176 Rev F/G - new board, new transformer!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oi.
According to vishay the lead below the screw adjust is A, middle B then C. Unfortunately I not quite clear how to apply this knowledge.

Here are the rev f. Schematics

http://mnats.net/files/1176REVFG_SCHEMATIC.pdf

Soooo close yet so far  :-[

one last question ( for now  ;) )

Any tips on grounding the board? This is also different from the rev. D board in the wiring guide

Scroll to the bottom:

http://mnats.net/1176_reva-d_hairball_wiring_meter_circuit.html

-------
Solder a heavy wire from the board ground nearest the large capacitor in the power supply. If your board does not have a pad here simply solder the wire to the negative pad of the large power supply capacitor C25.

Solder the other end of this wire to a lug and attach it with star washers to a convenient chassis ground point (not the ground for the IEC).
------

If you don't have a pad follow the instructions in bold.

Mike,

On rev. D of the signal preamp circuit there are 4 pads for: ground, 7, 29, 28.

On rev. F of the signal pre amp circuit there are only 3 pads for: 7,29,28. What should be done with ground coming from the CW attack lug? Would I attach it to the input xfr ground pad?

After this it's calibration time.

I'll be posting a picture of the fully wired ver. F after the calibration.

Songguy,

I received your PM. Did you miss these quotes below from the acknowledgment email I sent to you when you ordered your boards?

"Please note that the price above is for boards only. No individual technical or other support is included in the price."

"Please do not PM or email questions to me about boards, orders or these projects. Post your questions about each project to their respective threads after doing a search of the forum."

...and this from the first post of my board offer thread?

"Please do not purchase these Rev F USA boards unless you are comfortable with reading schematics and are prepared to do some reading and to think for yourself!"

Ah hem...

"IMPORTANT!
If you add MNATS PCBs to your order they will ship directly from MNATS in Australia."

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=42

The general distaste in my mouth right now is palatable. You're obviously a new comer as evidenced by your previous posts asking very basic questions. Tech support or electronics knowledge does not come included with your
purchase. With that being said, there's a lot of knowledge on these forums. Posting private messages are considered bad form; respect & patience will take you farther than anything else. Starting a war with Mako is ill-advised and will likely have bad effects on your level of support here.

We all want you to have a working compressor, but please do not expect someone to hand you the answer.

The 1176 can be somewhat complex with it's level of off board wiring, but if you follow the guides (which weren't around when I built my compressor) and build it carefully you will have a working piece of kit.

Start here.

http://mnats.net/1176_FAQ.html

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/techdocs.php

The META's contain a ton of information, including basic electronics and troubleshooting.

hint: If you hit print on this topic (or any topic) you can search the entire thread using CTRL-F.

Best of luck.

Mark

mnats said:
Songguy,

"I received your PM. Did you miss these quotes below from the acknowledgment email I sent to you when you ordered your boards?"
Songguy said:
REALLY!?

***I did NOT purchase the boards from you. I purchased them through hairball!! Therefore, i did NOT recieve your acknowledgement. I will not purchase or suggest your pcb's going forward.
Buggy-a-Lu

All orders received from Hairball receive the same standard acknowledgment as orders that come to me directly. Your acknowledgment email was sent to your verizon account of the 31st of January 2011 and included the text re-quoted above (they were copied directly from the email sent to you).

I received your above message by PM - again! - and I'm still happy to honor the money back guarantee at the end of the acknowledgment email since you clearly appear to disagree with the policy.

Finally, please post to the White Market order thread as this matter has nothing to do with the project itself.

Many Thanks Mike at hairball and to everyone who has chided in with bits of good info. if you are new you can contact me if you have some questions. I am happy to share the experience gained from this build. If you need to brush up or need a reintroduction there are some books that I found to be very helpful.  ;)

Hi, I just put together two Rev F hairball kits with MNATS new boards. I have to trouble shoot my mistakes ( im a new builder ). Does anyone know any voltages that I could test for when pumping in .0775V?

Anyone who has had power issues care to lend a hand?

I've built the Rev G and get 22v where 30v should be.  -10v is fine.  I've checked all components against the schematic and can't seem to trace the problem.  I know others have had this issue.  What was the problem?

Thanks!
Chris

buildafriend said:
Hi, I just put together two Rev F hairball kits with MNATS new boards. I have to trouble shoot my mistakes ( im a new builder ). Does anyone know any voltages that I could test for when pumping in .0775V?

Are you trying to test with a 0db input?  You want .775VAC not .0775.

agauchede said:
Anyone who has had power issues care to lend a hand?

I've built the Rev G and get 22v where 30v should be.  -10v is fine.  I've checked all components against the schematic and can't seem to trace the problem.  I know others have had this issue.  What was the problem?

Thanks!
Chris

I've never seen this one.  Maybe triple check the orientation and value of all the power supply components.

agauchede said:

the problem could be that your particular power transformer is not putting out a high enough voltage.  this could happen with the wrong transformer, or if something is hooked up incorrectly, or if you have particularly low line voltage in your area.

measure the AC voltage at the secondary side of the power transformer... you should get something over 40VAC.

and what is the unregulated DC voltage before the 7824 or 317... here you must have at least 35VDC to reliably get 30VDC after regulation.

ed

Thanks Mike and Ed,

I'll check the orientation of components and measure secondary voltages as soon as I'm at the work table again.

Awesome kit, Mike, Mako and all others involved.  Really great build.

I should say that the unit passes audio cleanly, I can adjust q-bias, but get no compression and can not do the GR meter calibration.  I figured I would try to sort out the power issue first.  The first time I powered the unit I did not have had it in the "off" position.  I think this may have been the root of my problems.

Thanks again,
Chris

Back