[BUILD] FET/500 Official Support Thread

Help Support GroupDIY:

FarisElek

HA! I found a Green LED in my parts drawer and it's the same size so I went for it to be over with this build. It's perfect! It ain't red but it works.
It ain't pretty on the inside near the LEDs, perfect everywhere else. Had a really hard time with some old lead cutters that I've permanently retired.

I am so unbelievably happy with this compressor now. I've already tracked drums with it on the kick. Absolutely crazy.

FarisElek

Fuzz Face said:
Man you were supposed to clip the LED leads before you solder to the board!  ;)

I know. I was building it away from my tools and I didn’t have tweezers to hold the LED’s to the board to to the pcb while soldering, so I kept one lead long enough that I could hold it bent up while soldering one side. It went wrong once but I thought I could get away with it again and it happened again 😓. I should have just been patient and waited til I had access to my tweezers.

zarndyhoff

Hi!

Just built my two Rev Ds. (actually these are the third and fourth I've built over the years).

First unit worked perfectly, calibrated perfectly, straight away.

Second unit, everything fine during calibration until the bit where you repeat the four steps. When GR Off is engaged, nothing changes - the AC output doesn't change regardless of where the switch is positioned..

Any ideas? I've been through and re-flowed all the solder joins on the meter board, but I haven't gone over the resistors yet... dreading that part. It's pretty tidy. I'll add a photo. Can you see any issues?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Echo North

zarndyhoff said:
Hi!

Just built my two Rev Ds. (actually these are the third and fourth I've built over the years).

First unit worked perfectly, calibrated perfectly, straight away.

Second unit, everything fine during calibration until the bit where you repeat the four steps. When GR Off is engaged, nothing changes - the AC output doesn't change regardless of where the switch is positioned..

Any ideas? I've been through and re-flowed all the solder joins on the meter board, but I haven't gone over the resistors yet... dreading that part. It's pretty tidy. I'll add a photo. Can you see any issues?
Thanks!

https://help.hairballaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048613813-Common-Build-Errors-and-Troubleshooting-Techniques

and

https://help.hairballaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048218173-FET-500-Troubleshooting-Guide

novisplit

Having the same VR2 issue as a lot of folks. Any official fix for that? double checked all my values. rebiased 6 times now.

Meter also seems to be way hotter than VU meter in protools. Other than that it's working great.

Please help!!!

FarisElek

Does using a linear psu for the 500 series such as the CAPI floor box psu bring the 500 series unit closer to the fet rack in character?

noiro

FarisElek said:
Does using a linear psu for the 500 series such as the CAPI floor box psu bring the 500 series unit closer to the fet rack in character?

I'm buidling them both rack and 500 series, basically i don't see much of a difference but what I notice is that each of them are unique, even two rack with active link aren't exactly doing the same work, it's the beauty of the analog world, like us they are all unique in my view.

noiro

hasanova said:
On a side note:
After calibrating "Unit#1" I put everything together. I noticed that a leg of R72 might be touching a #4 nut and/or 1/4" standoff. When I checked it with a DMM, it was so. Solved it by adding a bit of tape to the 1/4" standoff and #4 nut.

Hi man, I'm not sure if this is a good idea, it maybe suppose to touch, but it is very odd that it does that to my two last build as well REV F, not certain if i saw that before, R72 is shorting with the whole frame as well. it goes to ground, but in the schematic it does not?  any idea Mike?

asstrochris

Wondering if anyone can help with what should be a simple question? Just finished a FET/500, everything seems great, calibration mostly went fine for both, except for the VR2 "VU Trim" pot doesn't seem to adjust the lowest level. Second LED stays lit no matter of the setting on the pot. Any ideas welcomed, thanks!

Also, here's all my test measurements for the meter:

1: 1.22 VAC 10: -15.55 VDC
2: 1.52 VAC 11: 1.5 VAC
3: +7.12 VDC 12: 1.2 VAC
4: -8.02 VDC 13: +1.39 VDC
5: -.501 VDC. 14: +2.04 VDC
6: -1.115 VDC 15: +.78 VDC
7: -14.22 VDC 16: +15.38 VDC
8: -12.5 VDC 17: +2.5 VDC
9: +15.38 VDC. 18: +.05 on, +1.15 off (.7 LED1) VDC

Last edited:

zarndyhoff

and

Thanks for this reply! I figured it out ages ago - I think I had swapped a 10 k ohm with a 10 ohm resistor. Both units have been working perfectly for a year and sound fantastic.

Sweetfoot

I built a rev D kit, got it all calibrated, and started using it for some mixes. It's been great for a week or so, but today the output suddenly got super hot. Previously, the input an output seemed to have a reasonable range across their rotation, but now the output goes from zero to completely blown out within like 5 degrees of rotation, while the input pot still functions as expected. Any Idea why this might happen? Did my q bias drift as the circuit burned in?

Sweetfoot

I built a rev D kit, got it all calibrated, and started using it for some mixes. It's been great for a week or so, but today the output suddenly got super hot. Previously, the input an output seemed to have a reasonable range across their rotation, but now the output goes from zero to completely blown out within like 5 degrees of rotation, while the input pot still functions as expected. Any Idea why this might happen? Did my q bias drift as the circuit burned in?
Update: The super loud output is intermittent. On the day I first posted, It occurred for a few minutes, then went away for a few minutes, then came back for the rest of the day. Since that day though, the unit has been sounding normal.