DYN-X Help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

White Market Member
IMG_0077.jpg

You can see more about it at linkaudiodesign.de. Build guide is at Support Page.

Problems with this build?

Please post any questions not answered by the Build Guide to this thread. Please do not start new threads just for your particular issue with the DYN-X as these will not be monitored by myself.

This stuff is insanely good. Everything that I hoped and more. Thank you, Kevin. I would recommend this as a first outboard compressor. Best kick drum compressor, bar none, and everybody needs an analog gate (you can make it click on purpose for adding a bit of high end to dull kicks).

Two questions:

1. My only issue is that the signal drops about 3dB once I insert it (obviously, with no compression or gate). I have calibrated it twice and adjusted the output trim pot to produce the same voltage as when coming in, but I still get a drop in signal strength. Hmm. Any clues about what should I check?

2. The SSL 4k desk dynamics have auto-makeup gain compensation. This one does not. Is that correct? I just want to make sure I didn't screw something up.

I recently got around to building my DYNX. Everything seems good -- passes audio, compression works, gate works (haven't fussed with the expander yet). But I am finding the calibration instructions deeply frustrating to understand. This is probably a "me" problem, I realize, but I am struggling to work out what some of the instructions mean exactly. A simple example is when we are asked to measure AC voltage at a given test point...but against what? A measurement between the test point and the (-) input pin can give a totally different result than audio 0v than the (-) output pin.

Some of it I have been able to figure out (I can get a 5.00vdc reading at whichever test point that is -- TP2? -- with the correct input level), but the moment I run into any discrepancy, I'm unclear on what is going on. I lose the thread pretty early in the process, when there is the instruction about how the level on the return signal to the DAW should remain within 1 db (dbfs?) as the input signal is turned up. My measured gain reduction and LED meter seem to be in harmony (when the meter says 20db of gain reduction, that's pretty spot on with what it's doing), but the return signal does not stay within 1db of where it was when GR began, even at "infinity" ratio. I've run the trimpot all the way to the end of its track and still can't get it there. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back