[build] Steffen's GSSL High Pass Filter Documentation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I have a middle position on my DPDT, I had thought I could use the middle position for bypass. But probing it, it seems as I mentioned it does absolutely nothing. What the hell is the middle position there for then? Im surprised about this, and surprised I cant get a 60/200/bypass out of it....

YOu have bought a ON-OFF-ON switch, You can try to use a ON-ON-ON switch to add bypass.
In fact with your ON-OFF-ON switch, when you set the middle position, it breaks the connections, that's all.

another question...

There is only ONE output from the sidechain filter, how is this supposed to return L + R then? I have only one side working on the comp, after checking everything Im thinking maybe the problem lies here?

Looking at the hook up instructions, you are left with nothing where one leg of one of the 47K resistors was. This cant be right can it? It seems this is breaking part of the circuit if you follow the traces.... thanks

Hi,

I have a sidechain hookup question. On my setup, I will have only one XLR input jack associated with external sidechain board. What prospective is the send/return connections on the PCB is the send input or output to the PCB? Also, depending on which connection is used as the input(send or return) where would I grab 0v to complete input connection to the sidechain?

Thanks,

Greg, can you post a quick diagram showing how to connect the SND and RTN to the input and output XLR jacks for external sidechain use? I'm not totally sure how to connect 3 pins of each XLR to a single pin of the PCB.

Thanks,
Siegfried

You only need one connector (XLR or 1/4" TRS) for the sidechain insert. The signal is not balanced at this point in the circuit.

Connect the SND to the "tip" or "pin 2" and RET to "ring" or "pin 3."

Hey Greg,

I also have a question about the SND point. If I just want an external sidechain input, should I leave send dead?

For a ducker?

If you leave the SND off, then whatever you input into the RET will trigger the compressor. The source material will be lost in the sidechain at the SND and not impact the detection circuit.

[quote author="Greg"]For a ducker?

If you leave the SND off, then whatever you input into the RET will trigger the compressor. The source material will be lost in the sidechain at the SND and not impact the detection circuit.[/quote]

I think I get you, but let me just double check...

So with the send disconnected, the filter will work normally in the side chain in the first five positions. However when I switch over to the sixth position the signal coming into the sidechain filter will not proceed past the switch, however the signal coming into the sidechain filter from the RET point will proceed to the OUT point. Is this correct?

Also, since we're unbalanced at this point, pin 2 to the ret, or I suppose it really dosen't matter.

No problem, Sig.

Sender... yes, you've got the idea. But just to reiterate, the signal you put to the RET will not become part of the audio path. It will just dictate the response of the compressor being applied to say, for example, the drum buss.

[quote author="Greg"]No problem, Sig.

Sender... yes, you've got the idea. But just to reiterate, the signal you put to the RET will not become part of the audio path. It will just dictate the response of the compressor being applied to say, for example, the drum buss.[/quote]

Bingo, just what I thought. Thanks Greg!

Shit I'm confused now again. Wouldn't I normally need an output and an in for the sidechain? Out of the comp, into an EQ and then back out of the EQ and into the key in of the comp? Why am I confusing this? How is this all done with a female XLR on the Xlogic?

Thanks,
Sig

hey Sig... just think of a typical console insert. And an insert Y-cable.

2 x TS for the EQ (input and output) and 1 x TRS for the console. The tip sends the signal to the EQ and the ring returns the signal to the compressor.

This could also be done with an XLR.

Hope this helps. If not I can scratch up a little diagram so there is no confusion.

Ok, just got it all wired up. Let me see if I have this straight. When looking at the sidechain switch, the far left setting is 1, which is sidechain off, and moving upwards 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 is the far right setting which is external sidechain, correct? I've noticed that on setting 6, the compressor controls don't work, because I'm assuming there is no external sidechain connected. Correct?

On the mix bus, I've noticed that I like setting 5 the best, which is 200hz. Is this pretty much everyone's fav on a mix?

Thanks!
Sig

Finally installed my S/C filter, and after adjusting RV1 so it BARELY compresses +4dBU with threshold at 0, I noticed a few oddities (?).
My threshold is labeled -15dB to +15dB, however it must be more like +/- 40, since a +18dBU signal was left alone above the +6 setting, and I had to reduce to -40dBU to get below compression with threshold fully CCW.

Make-up gain measures +17dB BTW, labeled as +15 - ok I suppose.

(Before the filter, my threshold was higher, a +6 setting would compress a drum bus quite audibly. I'm liking the change, just wondering.)

Back