CA3046

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
discontinued !!
I have a few of these in my things to do bucket that I have been meaning to learn how to use ...
I guess I should now move them to my spares bucket.
This is good ... I was never going to find the time to do that testing anyway.

I heard that it was to be discontinued reading some posts on Synth DIY, so it may be just a rumour.... Old synthesisers are full of these things, so I am going to stock up anyway just in case.

I wish I could find them still in the round metal cans - I have 2 EMS Synthi Hi-Fli's in my shop that need some to get them going, and I don't think anyone makes an adaptor to fit 8 pin DIL IC's into a round hole pattern.

The CA3280 is still going to be in production, but the 3280 is different then the 3080. but the 3280 is alot nicer then the 3080 anyways. They generaly work interchangeably though, (not pin for pin). same with the 13600/13700 for that matter. although i could not get the 13600/13700 to work on a 3280 schematic. But thats no problem, since I have 3280s these days. Isn't the 3046 also out of production, or is that the 3086, or was it 3096? Its the one that ARP used in sme of their synths.

adadm

The CA3280 is really hard to find in these parts, and as the Sequential Prohet 5 and 10 use lots of them as their VCA's, and they are prone to failure in these machines, I have been trying to get some in stock. Farnell and RS have none, so I guess I need to look overseas.

I have no trouble getting CA3080's and I go through lot of them, these pop up everywhere, in some Moog VCF's, ARP's, Roland SH7's, EMS stuff etc. I change lots of dead ones throughout the year in my service shop.

I have no problem finding the transistor arrays like CA3046 and CA396's, Jaycar have some, as do Farnell. I changed one the other day in a Moog Prodigy with A dead VCO.

[quote author="Steve Jones"]I heard that it was to be discontinued reading some posts on Synth DIY, so it may be just a rumour.... Old synthesisers are full of these things, so I am going to stock up anyway just in case.

I wish I could find them still in the round metal cans - I have 2 EMS Synthi Hi-Fli's in my shop that need some to get them going, and I don't think anyone makes an adaptor to fit 8 pin DIL IC's into a round hole pattern.[/quote]

If you can fit them roughly into the neigbourhood of the TO-versions destination, just solder the DIP 3080's into the HiFli with some insulated wires. In the HiFli, the 3080's are *not* used as audio VCAs, just for modulation generators, so you don't have to be afraid of picking up hum when the connections aren't ultra short.

EMS designers obviously didn't consider 3080's good enough for audio VCAs. The phaser uses diodes instead (simple diodes, but 240 pieces to make 12 voltage controlled resistors!), and somewhere else (ring mod or some envelope shaper, I don't remember), they used a dual FET as a VCA.

JH.

Back