Cable Management

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I use Heavy Colored String to tie them after properly wrapping them, which could be another olympic Roadie event (properly wrapping them part).

For the event you should have to wrap ten outstretched 20 foot cables, then cast them back out to their full 20 foot extension with no sets of knots.

When I'm working with a long power extension cord at home, I turn a tapered trash can upside down and wrap the cable around the can. Pull up and perfect round winds every time. Even with a 50 foot cable.

Powered monitors and powered speakers add to the hassle. Mixed sound last night, after the show I had to ask for volunteers from the band to untangle the water moccasin nest.

You need to learn the " Over & Under" technique for coiling cables. No more tangles..

YES. And this is especially important working with stiff RF coaxial transmission lines. AND for Dacron and other types of guy rope for temporary antenna installations.

TIP -- DO NOT cross the ends through any of the coil loops, or you will get knots. Then, you can toss the cable or rope and it will spool out smoother than fishing line coming off the reel. You lose time and points doing it the wrong way. Tossing the line all at once makes you look really smart in o time - undoing knots consumes several minutes while you look like a dufas.

This guy mentions this "knotty problem..."

James

not audio cables per se, but any recommendations for packs of power cables for preamps etc outboard, 1', up to 4' or so should do it in options, beefy to withstand location recoding, decent enough specs to keep EMI minimized flexible to make some 90 degree turns,... all running from the outboard racks to nearby floor power strip. hope is getting lengths closer to what i actually use and some zip ties or mounting type things for said IECs could turn my usual rats nest into a textbook clean subpanel wiring job that scratch the type-A/OCD in the worst/best of us. thanks

just realized my post was probably unclear - could anyone recommend manufacturers of power cables that let you select length, are flexible but stand up to location recording stuff, bonus for any twisted pair / rejecting EMI, filtering out RF with ferrite, and of course disqualification for audiophile overpriced junk.

just realized my post was probably unclear - could anyone recommend manufacturers of power cables that let you select length, are flexible but stand up to location recording stuff, bonus for any twisted pair / rejecting EMI, filtering out RF with ferrite, and of course disqualification for audiophile overpriced junk.
I've bought dozens of cables from this supplier, in various lengths and AWG and used in my studio with no troubles. It has the usual three wire twist (with ground) but no ferrites. I like the 1 foot ones for use inside racks with full length metal power strips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N2CFJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

I've bought dozens of cables from this supplier, in various lengths and AWG and used in my studio with no troubles. It has the usual three wire twist (with ground) but no ferrites. I like the 1 foot ones for use inside racks with full length metal power strips.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N2CFJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Thanks!
However, I need C13 termination, more along the lines of this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Computer-IEC-320-C13-P007-006/dp/B0027JPKIE?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

That same vendor has those. From the first link navigate up to the vendor store link, go to cables, power cables, computer power cables, then select the length you want .
Thanks, missed that!
Surprisingly very close in cost for same length, with Tripp Lite having 14AWG vs Cable Matters 18! (With Tripp Lite certainly more established brand, I thought they'd charge much more than others. I also perhaps wrongly ASSume CM are just rebranded from a third party. In the end, length, flexibility and durability are what will win out. Gotta go figure out lengths needed for all this stuff!)

Surprisingly very close in cost for same length, with Tripp Lite having 14AWG vs Cable Matters 18!

I standardized on Tripp Lite 14 AWG pover cables long ago. Not too expensive and my studio manager, Mr Overkill, says they are more than enough for most applications except for my 220v equipment. I have even done as Mr. @Brian Roth suggests, and replaced some regular connectors with oddball connectors. I have had spotty results with various StarTech products, but the high quality and consistent performance of Tripp Lite products has sold me on them and I now buy Trip Lite USB and other cables as well - many of the USB cables have built in ferrite beads for RF suppression, which is a plus in my ham shack producing upwards of 1300 watts RF power just a couple of feet away from the computer and audio gear.

Just MY take ... James

Back