Calrec switch allignment.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustav

Hey..
Looked my Calrec boards over for bad solderpoints and shorts yesterday and got it mounted to the frontpanel.

Calrec%20in%20progress.JPG

I have a slight problem though. The switches dont allign properly.
Its not a problem for the Low-low mid board, but the hi-hi mid board seems to be diveded so the 6 pin switches and the 12 pin switches are a bit too far apart...It seperates just around the hi db knob.

calrec%20switch.jpg

I could fix it if it was up/down, but theres not wiggle room for left/right, so...I was thinking about getting a hairdryer and heating the plastic to bend it just a tiny bit to center the switch, but I was told this could be a very bad idea, so what do I do ?

Also...where can I find some plastic doodles for those switches ?

Gustav

Gustav,

Wow, they look good!

Bending the plastic would almost for sure make it impossible to mount switch caps (knobs).

I think you could unsolder the switches in one side, and "tilt" them to either left or right. That should give you some 1-2mm at least.

Another option could be to use larger caps and file the holes larger/correct - but this takes a lot of work.

Where did the layout go wrong?

Jakob E.

Shouldve had the bypass and shelf holes a mm or two further to the left.

It looks like Ill have drill the holes larger in any case, but it would be nice if everything was pretty much in center before I do it.

Just tried lifting the legs on one side of one of the switches..looks like that will do it, its just gonna take a little time.

Gustav

Hi
Nice work Gustav!
The knobs remindes me about that I have a couple of SAD1024 somewhere so I can build me an EH flanger "Electric Mistress"

[quote author="Viitalahde"]That is hideous!

Not even a mother could love something like that! :shock:

[/quote]

Go to your room Jaakko !!!!

Gustav

As I wouldn't want to spoil that metalwork either, why not resolder the switches moved over a little, if you use round switch caps you should be able to solder one row of the pins lower than the other so it leans to the hole. I kinda had the same trouble with my dual calrec despite measuring a bazillion times.

I have the switches pretty much in center now, the holes just seem kinda small to add a cap on the switch ?

Someone tell me where I can get those caps. Ill get a few and see if it works. (round ones)

Gustav

got mine from Canford, rean switch caps, I brought a pack of spares if you wanna try a few, they're pennies each - it's the p and p that kills from Canford.

Back