Can an EZ1290 (or Neve 1073) be run on 30VDC?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

I have run this thing on 24V. I have 30VDC available in the same chassis, but would it hurt to run 6V high? I sized my electrolytics higher than required.

Not sure myself but interesting to know ..... Couldnt you just drop the 30V to 24V with resistors ? ....

Regarding the voltages Im currently experimenting with the Trident A range pre , has two satges one runs on 30V other on 44V just experimenting to get my voltages right but so both satges run ok on less than the correct voltages I cant hear any difference in sound maybe its see able on a scope but I have found it interesting....

Looks like the data sheet's Vce rating on the BC184's is 30V. I'm guessing in the circuit itself there'd be a little bit of a drop before it hits the transistors. My guess is that it will all be ok at 30V. But it's right at the border line of what the transistors are rated at. I wonder how much margin they give before the smoke comes out. Looks like all my caps should be ok so it's the transistors I'd be worried about.

How about measuring the E B C of all transistors while its running on a its usual 24V & see how close the transistors run to the power supply voltage .....

Thinking about it I think the transistor voltages are on here somewhere ......

I did exactly that (measured at the normal voltage) and they run about 1-2V less than the rail.

Also, to update the thread, I went ahead and ran the Neve for a good hour or two at 31VDC and it ran fine. As I mentioned earlier, all my electrolytic caps are over 30V rating. The Tants are 25V but there isn't as much DC on those (measured around 5V live in circuit).

Ah cool I just found a PDF on my PC with voltages 22.6 volts on couple of transistors....... if it was mine I prob just see how it goes.... dont know if will change the pres performance or noise .... all the best ....

Latest posts

Back