Can any of you with Pro Tools 9 help me out?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I have some songs that I recorded at a studio on PT HD 8.  I am wanting to do more work on these sessions with my own computer in Cubase, and PT9 now lets you save the files as OMF.  I'm wondering if any of you guys would be willing to open my Pro Tools 8 files in your Pro Tools and save the files as OMF? 

I'm not sure if that is a fast process or a slow process?  It's fast in Cubase, but like all export functions in Pro Tools, I'm guessing it takes a long time.  ;D

I'd like to see if I could upload one song to my FTP and you could download it convert it and reupload it (or send it via Yousendit or something).  We could do that one first and make sure things are working then do the others.  I've got about 10 songs. 

I don't have a lot of money, but I can compensate with a paypal payment...

Thanks!

They are PT Files. I feel like i've tried in the past to simply import the WAV files without success. Can't remember if they are broadcast waves or not. I'll try again tonight.

Hi Joel,

OMF seems like overkill in this instance unless there are tons of edits that you want/need to keep in place?  I'd have the original studio open the sessions in PT8, consolidate the regions so that they all have the same start point and dump into a folder.  Import in Cubase and they'll all line up to zero, no fuss.  It'll take the original engineer about 30 mins for the whole album and it's fool proof.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Hi-yes there are many edits and crossfades already done that I'd like to not have to recreate-deal with.  Also folder tracks, etc (not sure if that matters here)

"Hi-yes there are many edits and crossfades already done that I'd like to not have to recreate-deal with.  Also folder tracks, etc (not sure if that matters here)"
If the crossfades are not simple linear ones that start and stop on a frame, i'm not so sure that the OMF
is going to be very kind to them. You might end up with a lot of glitches.
Bouncing the tracks ,reimporting them in the project and strip silence before making your OMF
should give you something that looks and sounds like your original but will work better.

I've got PT 9 and am willing to help. Exporting omfs isn't too time consuming, but uploading and downloading most likely will be. I've got a large dropbox which is probably a little easier than FTP. Hit me up if you're still in need.

ubxf said:
If the crossfades are not simple linear ones that start and stop on a frame, i'm not so sure that the OMF
is going to be very kind to them. You might end up with a lot of glitches.

This is my experience too. If the edits are good then why not commit?

You can always re-edit the files ,
pick up where you left off , if you leave them
in such a way , not already over edited
without any room to pull things back

"because it's not done..."
Then i would keep the edits but delete the fades before the OMF is made. Also make sure you change
the generic 1 sec handle to something larger

haha, the point of pt 9 is that you don't have to pay an extra $400 to buy stupid digitranslator plug-in in order to export omfs in the first place.

ugh-I thought the point of PT9 was that these issues were taken car of???
i hope you are  right i'm still on PT8  and didn't check OMF exports from PT9 yet.

Well if omf export is not going to work from one daw to another, digi-translator or not, there is no point...

pucho812 said:
If the files are .bwf broadcast wave, they should have a time stamp. YOu should be able to import themn and put them at their proper location.

Cool. I didn't know how to do that in Cubase (it's not just drag and drop), but I got them in there.  Very good.  Thanks Pucho.

Mbira said:
pucho812 said:
If the files are .bwf broadcast wave, they should have a time stamp. YOu should be able to import themn and put them at their proper location.

Cool. I didn't know how to do that in Cubase (it's not just drag and drop), but I got them in there.  Very good.  Thanks Pucho.

your welcome. In Pro tools it's not just drap and drop either. You have to put it in spot mode and then do a few other things to get it to the right time stamp. In fact the only drag and drop I know of is logic. how logical...

Mbira said:
Well if omf export is not going to work from one daw to another, digi-translator or not, there is no point...
OMF works in some cases perfectly in some cases with some glitches. The best way to know is to do a small test.
i could help you with that if you'd like.If you give me a small PT session with some of your critical edits and fades
i'll make an omf so you can see if it works well for you.

dunno if its pointless, super efficient for taking some sloppy, edited up Final Cut Pro sessions with huge handles for audio post stuff

Back