Can I use 150+150:600 CT for MS en/de-coding?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Hi All,

i am thinking about making an MS matrix for mastering. I already have a pair of Sowter 4652's (150+150:150+150 ohms will handle +34dB!). I also have a pair of Gardner's MU.7524. - Pri. 150/600ohm. - Sec 600ohmCT. I think that these are the wrong way round for me! the secondaries are NOT two seperate discrete windings(only 3 pins on the connector instead of 4 - 8way octal). Bah! What I would like to know is, could I still use these? Perhaps I could use them in reverse? If so, would there be increased loss? Maybe i could open up the cans and seperate the secondaries. . . (These are painted in grey hammerite mounted on an octal base btw). Maybe someone here(CJ?) has opened one up to investigate? I don't even know if these Gardners are any good(?) - my guess is that they rock. - they are big, heavy, and came out of a broadcast Neve back in the day . . .

Thanks so much in advance to you all!

ANdy P

I would actually discurage from using passive matrix unless you have any way of changing gain of each channel prior to the matrixing stage. I worked a lot with MS and found that change of "width" or just presise channel balancing is very important with MS. You can easily do matrixing with a mixer or even with any mixing software, if you use it.

dear silent arts,

I am not qite sure what you mean. i have diagrams from both Gyraf and Jensen showing 1+1:1+1 transformers. Jensen suggest JT-11SSP-6M. Why do you need 1:0.7+0.7?

I am very intreagued!

ANdy P

Dear Marik,

I am very familiar with MS mastering, and have often used Fairchild 670. i love to be able to treat the mid and side seperately. i have never had any problems.I used to split the signal using 3channels, and another 3 channels to decode. Uses far too many channels on our baby 32channel SSL! I have built a GSSL with 2 side chains -ie dual mono or stereo,(DBX2001's for vca's - awesome!) and I am keen to try MS on my stereo buss, ala fairchild. Fairchild uses transformers, several mastering houses I know of(but havent used) use transformers to en/decode MS, so I am interested to know why you want to discourage me . . . . . ! Both Jenses and Gyraf have the relevant info on their websites too btw . . . .

Very much looking foreward to your response,

ANdy P

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"] I am interested to know why you want to discourage me . . . . . [/quote]

Andy,

I guess I did not word it right and also missed your application. I record M and S separately and then matrix during mastering stage. I meant only the ability of treating M and S separately prior to matrixing, as I find it very usefull and important for my purposes. If it is not what you are doing and how you record, please disregard my message.

Best, Marik

Back