Can you guys figure how he is doing what this guy claims

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

I saw this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3278&item=7316414490&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Is it a scam? Or can you do this as he claims with 2 tubes? Wouldn't this be known by now?

Just curious. If anyone can tell its the people here. (except me).

Jim

It is just a copy of the Manley T bar mod which replaces the 6386 twin triode with 2 x 6BA6 wired as a single triodes. All the info you need to do this is the pinout of both tubes and know how to wire a pentode tube as a triode. The tubes are only $10AUD here each and that is all you are buying in the ebay auction.

http://www.manleylabs.com/techpage/TBAR.html

It would be cheaper to buy the Tbar mod kit for $150USD from Paul Fargo as I think that is for 2 channels (4 tubes and 2 Tbar PCB's) ready made but don't quote me on that.

I have an early Manley Mu with 6386's in at the moment that a guy picked up at an auction for $500AUD in great condition. Talk about bargain of the century.

Joe

www.jlmaudio.com

Sorry I never thought of searching for this. From what I read it does look like a copy of the T-Bar mod.

Jim

[quote author="Bluzzi"]From what I read it does look like a copy of the T-Bar mod.[/quote]

How do you figure that? The guy explicitly says in his listing, and I quote:

First of all it is NOT a copied circuit from a well known maker of the variable mu type of limiter.

What gives? :?

Peace,
Al.

I wonder if he scuffs the markings off of the tubes...

What would constitute a significant enough change to make his statement correct is a mite subjective I guess. But how different can something like this be?

He is definitely using different tubes as they are 9pin ones if my eyes are right and 6BA6 are only 7pin types. Look like solid shield EF86's to me.

But the idea is the same

Joe

WWW.JLMAUDIO.COM

There are a lot of remote cutoff pentodes like the 6ba6 out there. I guess all of them would remain the cutoff point remote when wired as a triode, so one has many tube types to try on this subject... Maybe there are really better ones than the 6BA6. Who knows?

Al:

The idea is the same and although he is selling a product for me he is selling and idea 'cause the 2 tubes surely aren't worth what he is asking.

As it turns out the idea is already available. Something I didn't know up to now.

Also just because someone on eBay "states" something does not make it the truth!

Jim

Back