Can you help me rack my modules?? Please? I am asking a lot I know.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry McInturff

Hello all,

First, more thanks than can be expressed for your input!

I have two modules from one of the three Raindirk Series III desks used at Olympic 1974-1985-ish. Cyril Jones @ Raindirk has confirmed the provenance. I'd gladly send them to him for re-capping/racking but alas not in budget.

I have aprox 2/3rds of the schematic including all the pinouts identified.

It's a project well within my skills if only I can be instructed as to the basics of racking these.

The modules require:
+/- 18v
+ 12v
+48v phantom

And so I need to know an affordable way to power the two modules. DIY PSU kit?

I am afraid I need the most basic instructions. Obviously I want to eliminate the bussing and aux sends. I need to be able to use the mic pre, the mic/line ins, the insert, the EQ, and to wire an unused pot to act as the output control.

The pinouts show send/return from "Olympic EQ" (the Helios units)..dont know what to do

Where does the signal leave the circuit going to the mic output and line output?

I KNOW that I should learn this on my own, but time constraints prevent me from taking advantage of this learning experience. I KNOW I am asking a lot....

I need basic help. Many thanks in advance!!!!!

I remember there was raindirk thread about racking before, can't seem to find it though.  I tried to search for it but came up empty.  At any rate there is info on racking up modules on here so you might want to do some digging, in the meta's perhaps.  You will need connectors and power supplies.  For power I would suggest the JLM audio power station kit. It will do 5 X outputs enough to cover your bi-polar 18VDC, your 48VDC and your +12VDC that you need. Should be able to provide more then enough juice to power both rack modules.
From there a lot of metal work will be required and maybe even some PCB manipulation....

Thank you! Ive found a local who can help. The edge connectors are weird..so...any harm in soldering directly to the edge's pinout?
As for the box m making a nice mahogany box

Terry McInturff said:
Thank you! Ive found a local who can help. The edge connectors are weird..so...any harm in soldering directly to the edge's pinout?
As for the box m making a nice mahogany box

How weird could they be?  It seems an awful shame to solder directly to the card edge on a nice module like that.

Show us a pic and I'll bet we can point you to the right edge connector.

Found this thread.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=57721.0

Looks like a double sided blade style connector but kinda hard to tell from the photos.

Wow, this is the 7th year of questions about racking these particular modules.  Did they get lost?  : )

musika said:
Found this thread.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=57721.0

Looks like a double sided blade style connector but kinda hard to tell from the photos.

ISEP connector, hard to find, still manufactured !!!
have some but need that spare for my Studer desk, if I remember I also see them in old Midas

zam

Recently racked a pair of these.  You'll need to power the logic circuit if you want to use line in as well as mic in  .  I used a 12v wall wart for the logic and  a Power One +/- 15 V supply for audio.  For phantom it's cheaper to buy a Nady or similar external unit.

BTW if your modules have the dual switchable presence range  ( second freq band marked in orange ) they're later than the Olympic Series III s and there are a few pin out  & circuit differences.

I found these connectors on eBay and dremeled to fit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pc-Industrial-Card-Edge-Slot-Socket-Connector-34x2P-68P-2-54mm-0-1-3A-RoHS-/130805333599?hash=item1e749afe5f

Latest posts

Back