• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Cassette multitrack collection/project sale - 70+ units - tascam, fostex, yamaha

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a weird scenario - I've been asked to help disperse a collection of cassette multitracks, and it's save to assume that all need some love and servicing - and sadly (happily?) I have no interest or time for 4track cassette recording/recorder escapades.

This collection is large (70+?) and includes many of the models produced by tascam, yamaha, and fostex - from the lowly porta 02 to tascam 688's... models from the early 80's to late 90's.

Some units are very nice w/ original boxes, some perfectly clean and shiny, some are ugly parts units, and then much of it is in between. On one end, working 688's can sell for $800-1200 (i think there are 5 or 6 of these), 244's sell $700-1000 working (8 maybe?), Porta 2's for $250 but not to be confused with the Porta Twos which sell at $350. It should be assumed that most units need some combination of rubber parts/pinch rollers/belts/idler wheels at the very least. Some units are 120, some may be 100v. Some use wall warts. I'm sure some units won't be salvageable for other than parts.

It may be of interest to someone who likes this sort of thing, has free time, and I'm sure a reasonable amount of money could be made (but always it's always less than anyone thinks!).

If there is interest I can catalog/generate a list, etc. Terms could be flexible, to the degree of some $ up front, some after things sell if the arrangement is w/ someone w/ good history, or whatever seems favorable to all parties, or provides the best opportunities for the buyer.

I don't have rose colored glasses about what's here and may end up selling them one by one as-is as parts units, but wanted to create an opportunity if it was of interest.

The goal is less of this being a $$ making endeavor, but there is some value in what's here and that should be afforded to the owner, but also maybe some good value on the other end for someone.

I am on the look out for a 4 track cassette. I use to own a Fostex X15 and I still have some tapes I recorded on it may 30 or more years ago. It would be nice to be able to hear them again so if the collection includes a Fostex X15 or something similar I would be interested.

Cheers

Ian

Here's a weird scenario - I've been asked to help disperse a collection of cassette multitracks....

This collection is large (70+?) and includes many of the models produced by tascam, yamaha, and fostex -
Any pictures of the machines? Any picture would speed up the sale and/or encourage GDIY members to buy/lust. We’re you based (shipping cost)?
😉
Regards
M

Great questions! 70 is a lot machines - figured the general posting would invite a convo for someone wanting a large inventory rebuilding project (if there was interest at all). Photos - that’s a lot of units! I am just helping get them unboxed and out of storage and logged - will add pictures and basic notes as we access them. I don’t want to take up bandwidth if there’s no interest, but will it there is curiosity.

Shipping from Oregon.

Latest posts

Back