Cassette won't die

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR

332855207_2da0d216b3_z-640x480.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12/retro-tech-2015-was-an-astounding-year-for-one-cassette-tape-factory/

"National Audio Company ...reported a 31 percent increase in order volume over the previous year."

Previously assuming it came from the Philips-capital (in the south of the Netherlands), I need to correct that thought:  8)

"In 1962, Philips invented the Compact Cassette medium for audio storage, introducing it in Europe on 30 August 1963 (at the Berlin Radio Show), and in the United States (under the Norelco brand) in November 1964, with the trademark name Compact Cassette. The team at Philips was led by Lou Ottens in Hasselt, Belgium."

i still don't  know how an 8 track works,

had an 8 track player on my mtn  bike, kept changing tracks every time i hit a bump, so i would have to hop the wheel three times to get back to the song,

homemade cassettes from vinyl are the bomb, custom levels, custom set list,

PRR said:
-for-one-cassette-tape-factory/
"National Audio Company ...reported a 31 percent increase in order volume over the previous year."

We're getting ahead of ourselves.  This just means someone bought one this year.

mattamatta said:
PRR said:
-for-one-cassette-tape-factory/

We're getting ahead of ourselves.  This just means someone bought one this year.

I was thinking the same. Absolute numbers would be nice.

I know someone who works as an "archiver" for the danish blind society. They never stopped putting "read-out-loud" issues of various magazines and news journals to tape. That demand will die with a generation, but may point to an explanation of why such a factory is even still running.

Gustav

Actually, a friend of mine also decided to release one of his 2015 electronic dance music projects on cassette tape. It seems to be a fashion. When asked why he said that he liked the idea of tracks being in a pre-established order (author album) and that tape is not that easy or feasible to copy (versus digital commodity).

I had a tape out this last year, made by NAC (small edition on an obscure black metal label).  Tapes are still doing well in the underground/indie music world...hipper, weirder and more personal than CDs, cheaper than vinyl.

Back