CCTV cameras..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Anyone here knows something about CCTV systems??
Ive been asked by my boss to change the system i installed 2 years ago.
Im not sure if you guys have any advices.

My boss complains basically about the cameras lack of definition.
Its a parking lot for trucks and containers, must secure the place when thousands of dollars of merchandise is inside those containers.

So my question is bigger cameras have better definition?

Any advise would be apreciated Thanks.

3nity said:
Anyone here knows something about CCTV systems??
Ive been asked by my boss to change the system i installed 2 years ago.
Im not sure if you guys have any advices.

My boss complains basically about the cameras lack of definition.
Its a parking lot for trucks and containers, must secure the place when thousands of dollars of merchandise is inside those containers.

So my question is bigger cameras have better definition?

The following answer might sound snarky, but that's not intentional.

Cameras with better definition have better definition. Size doesn't matter.

A lot of CCTV cameras are half-frame NTSC (here in the Colonies, anyway), which means 240 lines. Why? Probably because they're cheaper.

If you want a camera with better definition, you need something with higher resolution. HD cameras are common -- 720P is probably cheaper, 1080 less so but perhaps not. The bad news here is that if your cameras were the 240-line jobs its likely that the recorders can't do HD.

The other issue, of course, is low-light sensitivity. In most security systems the cameras are most useful at night when the Bad Guys are a-lurking. Of course you pay for such sensitivity. IR illumination is helpful but your camera also needs to see in the near-IR where these illuminators work to be useful. And the illuminators have a limited range.

You gets whats youse pays for.

-a

You want to concentrate on lens quality and adjustable focal point.  Also check the sample rate of the DVR because all are not created equal.  I am assuming that it is DVR and not tape based.  If it is tape, then the same frame rate issue stands.  To get 2 days out of one tape means that you sacrifice clarity and continuity.
I am about to replace a 10 year old PC based 4 CH DVR card that did it's job- got a passive-aggressive a-hole neighbor to slither back under his rock for years and kept contractors honest with their hours.  I will probably go with a standalone DVR with net access.
Mike

why not IP??? I used to work at a company as chief of project installing Sony IP cameras and other things.
IP cameras have some advantages over analog and of course analog have some advantages over IP.
the development of ip cameras in recents years has grown up a lot while analog cameras are stable.
with IP cameras you have all the advantages of the network technology, routers, access points, record in multiples places, accesibility over the globe with internet, etc.
sony have some very small HD cameras, but some are not so good at night, so it depend of what you want, PTZ control, day night, backlight compensation, etc.

btw there are some VERY cheap analog systems.

I have tried this brand and they look excelent.
http://www.brickcom.com/

I would not consider IP for outdoor applications.  More electronics to go poof.  Plus you can run video on twisted pair much further than IP.  Could be good for indoor shorter runs or a single cam setup.  I would put the budget into good optics.

Almost all DVR systems have net/smartphone access anyway. 
Mike

today technology not only use utp cables for IP cameras now you can use coaxial cables, you can reach 500mts over rg11.
if you go cheap sure analog over twisted pair go further but can´t beat fiber optic or a pair of access point. 

speed on analog systems are still better than ip, if you want to control a robot analog is the way. but with ip cameras you can do a lot more: ip cameras have relay input and output so you can open your door from the camera  or turn on a light when it detect movement. you can integrate your alarm to the camera system, you can record audio with the camera, you can reproduce an audio file from the camera if it detect movement, etc.

if you need it for outdoor find an IP66 camera and you will be ok.

Back