Channel strip design

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,
I would like to reactivate this old thread since I always wanted to do a channelstrip myself. So my idea is to put an EF86/ECC88 based tube preamp (this ORANGE 86 one) together with a LA2a compressor into one box (both mono). A few questions: Input transformer for the mic pre is 1:7 stepup, for output 7:1 stepdown. The LA2a works fine with 1:1 input and 10K:600 output and has still plenty of gain. When combining mic preamp and compressor, can I simply ommitt the micpre out and the compressor input, or do I need some kind of interstage transformer? Where could the EQ section be inserted? Just after the Input transformer of the micpre? There are a few advantages to consider. Only one PSU for Micpre and compressor (probably the PSU that is already on Volkers Dual LA2a, and yes, I want to cut down the pcb to one channel). Maybe one input and one output transformer. Volkers LA2a pcb already provides a true bypass for the compressor section. I would mainly use it when I have to record vocals or instruments in foreign, not very well equipped studios (what I have to quite often). Any ideas?
regards
Bernd

Latest posts

Back