Cheap SM57 style Mic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carboncomp

Hi, looking for a cheap SM57-style Mic for a project that it's going to be mounted in a small box with acoustic foam recoding keyboard key switches triggered with an actuator so just need something that will give me a A/B comparable frequency response for the switches.

Are any budget options worth considering?

(Only saying "SM57 style" as I based all my cad on one of my SM57, but don't want to dedicate it to this project)

Hi, looking for a cheap SM57-style Mic for a project that it's going to be mounted in a small box with acoustic foam recoding keyboard key switches triggered with an actuator so just need something that will give me a A/B comparable frequency response for the switches.

(Only saying "SM57 style" as I based all my cad on one of my SM57, but don't want to dedicate it to this project)
Pyle PDMIC78 seems to be the favorite among the knock-offs.

This one I wouldn't call a knockoff but I really like the iSK ICDM. They're like $30 a piece if you use the promo deal, though I haven't found much of a use for them I let my roommate use one for a podcast. They're on the bright side for a dynamic but I don't think that's a bad thing. Certainly no Beyer M88 but a very solid cheap dynamic.

EDIT: I think they were discontinued. I don't see a similar model on the Chinese site.

Swamp.net.au still sells the iSK DM-57 and DM-58 which are obviously Shure knockoffs. I believe Superlux also has similar mics. The iSK's are about $50 each, so they're 4x more expensive than the Pyle which I'm seeing for $13 USD on Amazon. Behringer also sells a 57 style mic now.

Last edited:
Thomann sell a cheap 57 clone; it matches the original for most of the spectrum, but has a 4-6dB shelf-boost from 3-4kHz and up.

https://www.delamar.de/wp-content/u...57_t.bone_mb-75-hitec_-dm57_testbericht_3.jpg
https://www.delamar.de/test/t-bone-mb-75-hitec-audio-dm-75/
If you manage to get one with only 4 dB that could potentially be a really nice sounding mic. Maybe a poor man's M88?

Not that I trust them but the specs on Thomann show what looks like a really similar curve to the SM57's. If it's even remotely accurate it could be a promising mic.

Last edited:
57's are already pretty darn inexpensive.
They can probably find one used for what some of the nicer copies would cost. I don't know how different the SM48 sounds, cause it has a slightly different EQ curve, but it could be a close option if they take off the grille.

Why wouldn't you use a cheap flat-ish condenser if you're comparing the frequency responses? Doesn't even necessarily have to be a measurement mic, you could use the Line Audio omni mic or their CM4 which are fantastic and probably $125.

Latest posts

Back