Chrion inductors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niketouille

Hi guys,
I have asked Chrion to wind some inductors for a prototype and I have already paid him. Now his store is closed and he is not answering my mail.
Does anyone know how to get in touch with him ? He seems to be a very busy man...
Cheers

I don't know what has happened to him. Several people have contacted me asking the same question. Anyone? Ethan??

Cheers

Ian

I got my inductors. It seems he got sick and close his shop. Problem is I need to find an alternative solutions now. Any idea ?

warpie said:
Niketouille said:
Problem is I need to find an alternative solutions now. Any idea ?
Same here..

I am in the same situation of needing inductors using the RM8 cores, so I am going to start winding my own.  If I get good enough at it, I'll send up a flare to the group, and do some custom ones for you guys.
Best,
Bruno2000

So, if any of you that are familliar / expert at winding RM8 size inductors would PLEASE give me some pointers, I would REALLY appreciate it.  Like are the cores really +/- 30%?
Thanks in advance!
Best,
Bruno2000

Off the top of my head:

I know only the EPCOS brand RM8-cores

The +30/-20% tolerances are worst-case - usually much better within-batch. I measure a couple of sets from a batch for reference, and 90% of the rest are usually within 5%. High-AL cores like T38 are even worse rated at +40/-30%, still most are 5% within-batch.

I found it is apparently important to keep the cores in the matching sets they're delivered in from factory. Maybe they do some core-half-matching at production/packaging?

Very important to "grind" the core halves onto each-other after assembling the inductor, while reading inductance. You'll see inductance rising to a point where no further grinding brings improvement, leave it there. The reading is NOT your final inductance value, it will drop a bit over the next days.

If some inductors come out too wrong, simply swap the cores and put the wrongies aside marked with their "real" AL-value for different use.

A simple yet effective calculator for most of your coiling needs: http://powermagnetics.co.uk/calculator.html - does all sorts of calculations between Turns, AL, and inductance.

Jakob E.

A little tip - for the core types with a central hole you can buy little adjustment screws that sit in the centre.

These let you (or the user) tweak the inductance to the desired value. They cost a little bit but can save time in the long run.

http://www.spulen.com/ferrite-iron-powder-cores/adjusting-screws.html

Once again I am delighted and humbled at the sharing of knowledge on this forum.  Thank you both very much for the info!

Jacob, I ASSume that I would make up a bobbin of known turns to test the cores with and from the inductance I measure, figure out the actual AL value of the core, then wind for the desired inductance using that AL figure.  Is that correct?

Zebra 50, how much variation can I expect using the adjustment screws?

General question:  Seems if I am going to make tapped inductors, there will be a good bit of trial and error getting those just right, or is there a trick to that as well?

Best,
Bruno2000

>Zebra 50, how much variation can I expect using the adjustment screws?

In my limited experience, more than enough. You can always take a turn or two of wire off if you are a mile away! Mostly I do transformers rather than inductors.

You'll find that with the same winder run by the same guy on the same day, you'll be pretty close anyway.

bruno2000 said:
Jacob, I ASSume that I would make up a bobbin of known turns to test the cores with and from the inductance I measure, figure out the actual AL value of the core, then wind for the desired inductance using that AL figure.  Is that correct?

Yes, e.g. using the mentioned calculator

bruno2000 said:
General question:  Seems if I am going to make tapped inductors, there will be a good bit of trial and error getting those just right, or is there a trick to that as well?

Shouldn't be any guesswork - look up needed number of turns for each tap in above calculator, counting the whole inductor including number of turns from previous taps.

Cores with adjustment screw are most often low-AL and gapped, so you will need many turns to get a decent inductance (although <100mH is probably unproblematic)

Cores that show unexpectedly low AL-value has most often begun developing a crack somewhere.

Jakob E.

Back