"Rollo" Knobs for Altec, Langevin, and other Vintage Gear

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjrippe

GDIY Supporter
Following up on a request in the Black Market, I am posting my drawings of the famous "Rollo" knob for free use. The knob this was derived from was on loan from Doug @emrr so big thanks to him!

@thomasdf is hoping to do the 3D model and make files available.

-Mike

Attachments

• %22Rollo%22 Knob.jpg
    %22Rollo%22 Knob.jpg
    2.6 MB
Well I had some unexpected spare time this morning so this is were I am right now :
This is a 2 grooves version, with a single set screw hole on the side. I seem to remember there are two set screws appart 90° from one another, one being through the indicator groove. I can easily add that.
I'll probably make a single groove, too.

I've kept all the edges / angles sharp, but I'd probably advise putting a little fillet to them, in order to make them a little smoother. If you have some high res pictures I can try to mimic the OG's edges.
I haven't modelled the brass insert

The TXT has to be changed to .STL in order to work

Attachments

• Rollo_2Grooves.txt
    143.9 KB
  • rollocapture.png
    rollocapture.png
    633.9 KB
Last edited:
How is the set screw going to work? Is there some kind of standard brass threaded insert that can be used?

Edit: Looking at the drawing in detail I see there is a brass insert. Are these readily available??

Cheers

Ian

Following. Looking great.

So these have a sort of circular hole? Like Ian mentioned re: set screw.

Would be great to someday have one that would fit a standard fader cap too as you mentioned :)

Give me the precise fader cap dimensions and I’ll do that, it’s quite easily done

For starters I wanted to do something true to the original. A rectangular piece of brass can be bent into a circular insert, drilled and tapped. Or maybe the original can be found ?

For my personal use I was thinking of having the screw hole drilled at 2.5mm and then tapped for m3 set screw + inside central hole at the correct size for the pot shaft. Milled in aluminium

Latest posts

Back