Cinemag output transformers for the g7?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumsolly

Im building a g7 and thinking of using a cinemag output transformer. I wanted to experiment with something other than the lundahl and it doesn't look like a sowter will fit (they are massive) Ive read a lot of posts of people considering using a cinemag and haven't read much about the results people have gotten. it seems like there are a number of cinemag transformers that would work:
CMO-5/200CT, CMO-15/200CT, CM-2461NiCo, CM-96322, CM-2510

any thoughts, or better yet experience? I seem to remember a thread where someone suggested that the g7 circuit was not suited to drive a bv8-type transformer like the CM-2461NiCo, but now i can't find it.

Thanks for your help, Ben

I have used the CM-2461NiCo with an E80f in a G7 with very nice results. I used the PCB, but had to go ghetto and used cable ties to get the output to fit. I plan on rebuilding it p2p with new resistors, because the carbon comps I used might have made it a little hissy, and I can arrange the circuit on discs...

Great project.

Thanks babyhead - I saw your earlier posts about using the CM-2461NiCo with a g7 circuit. I'm glad to see your still happy with it. could you compare the sound to anything? other mics you own, maybe?
Thanks, Ben

When I first heard it, it was the best mic in my collection. The problem I have with it is the noise floor. I think better construction and different resistors will make a difference. I'm also tube collecting for lowest noise. The NiCo is expensive, but very nice. My G7 =io body + DaleM7 + E80f + AudioNote 2.0uf + NiCo.

Very present, a little more hyped (WTM) than a U67 I used for drums (the U67 was 1/2 the distance from the kit to the G7). The noise is my units drawback. So back to work on it...

thanks babyhead - I think iv'e decided to go with the CM-2461NiCo as well. just based on your recomendation and listening to the shootout on the cinemag website between the bv8 and the CM-2461NiCo. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
-Ben

Just thought I'd pipe in and say that the Sowter 3678 sounds very nice indeed in my G7. And you get 3 different impedance choices for the output.

Mine is also a wee bit hissy for some uses however (fine on vocal)....redone it p2p already....might try loosing the Holco resistors for something else, although in theory they should be good'ens....

Tried 200 first and now have it on 600 for more juice, so I can drive my tube pre less. Not tried 50. The pre has a 150/600 switch, so I can match 600/600. With the mic (sowter) on 600 going onto the pre set to 150 it acquires a slightly thinner and quieter tonality. Different angle, also sounds nice, just not as big. Kind of keen to somehow fit a little 3-way switch eventually. Angles at the ready.

Was looking at the 9995, which specs out better by quite a bit, but I went for the switchable impedance thing. Must say it does sound very nice. Makes me wonder how much better the 9995 would sound......it's got a lot better distortion figures.....but would it 'sound' better....hmmm

Back