CJ no longer here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem to need and enjoy to do a lot of posts without contributing anything at all,
that's the opposite of members like PRR and CJ which contributions continuously improved this forum and this community.

You choose to be disrespectful so don't count on me to comment any more shallow posts
I don't think he was being disrespectful, I think he was implying that we may have lost one transformer guru but gained another so don't worry. for those that have been around for ages CJ did the disappearing act before, without details as to why, he did return.

Last edited:
I just had to jump through a few hoops to get back in here after my old email address was no longer valid ,
I never recall agreeing to email notifications from this site ever, I'm glad I went to preferences/privacy in account before I submitted my new email thats for f**king sure .
Is it possible the undermining of our data has run off some of our best contributors?

Is it possible the undermining of our data has run off some of our best contributors?
not that I am much of a contributor but there is still an unsettled feeling

p.s. prr and cj are not mere mortals
and i challenge you to find a childish contribution of theirs--cryptic or dense maybe but always high value
some of us have a long way to go

I don't think he was being disrespectful, I think he was implying that we may have lost one transformer guru but gained another so don't worry.

Undermining the contributions and importance of a member like CJ, yes it's disrespectful.
If another knowledgeable person on transformers comes in that's great, but that doesn't diminish in any way that if a member like CJ leaves that would be a big loss to GroupDIY.
It would take many years of work and dedication for any member to contribute as much to the "Magnetics" section as CJ has done over the years.

I just wish CJ is well and healthy.

But don't worry about the disrespectful member here, there's an "Ignore" option for members in this forum and I used it.
So yes, don't worry

Undermining the contributions and importance of a member like CJ, yes it's disrespectful.
If another knowledgeable person on transformers comes in that's great, but that doesn't diminish in any way that if a member like CJ leaves that would be a big loss to GroupDIY.
It would take many years of work and dedication for any member to contribute as much to the "Magnetics" section as CJ has done over the years.

I just wish CJ is well and healthy.

But don't worry about the disrespectful member here, there's an "Ignore" option for members in this forum and I used it.
So yes, don't worry
See I don't think he did. We can disagree on that, maybe I am thinking something more blunt would have been considered disrespectful. I wish CJ well too. Years ago at AES we made a bet, winner got a pair of inductors. I won. I never saw them, but I didn't care, it was fun. CJ is a good dude. He will be well.

The crystal generation, so sad that we need an ignore option so feelings don't get hurt for reading something...

some people can't ignore on their own.

The Brewery is where we come to die. It's the Boneyard of the forum, where we lament lost ones. Aah the vibe we had back in the day, building a thing just to prove a theory was correct. The banter of the ol boys, New York Dave, CJ, PRR the wise one. And some other ones who just talked. Maybe CJ will return, sometimes you just got to take a break from us all!
welcome home

not that I am much of a contributor but there is still an unsettled feeling

p.s. prr and cj are not mere mortals
and i challenge you to find a childish contribution of theirs--cryptic or dense maybe but always high value
some of us have a long way to go

CJ was always nice, PRR not so much, some of his post are just a single word like "No" or some other thing like that. I reckon PRR might be a guru, but pride is great with him, which is probably why he didn't return even after Whoops sent him a 2 page apology letter.

Honestly it doesn't really bother me, as long as abbey, jakob, JR and now Bill Whitlock are here, I don't see too much trouble. Ohh and I forgot our beloved Ian, honourable mentions to squarewave, pucho, boji, Tubetech, Merlin, Brian Roth, Winston O' Boogie and that crazy analag aswell.

And greetings to the WOKE mob aswell, the Brewery wouldnt be the same thing without you guys, you know who you are....

Last edited:
lol-this is the first time in my 20 years on this forum (and the old place) that I've ever seen anyone diss PRR. How far we've fallen. Oh well, everything changes.
Feel free to disregard noise in the brewery and elsewhere that doesn't make sense. I can imagine PRR saying "no" because I have done that myself before, and recently.

After someone asks you the exact same question for the Nth time "no" just feels right.

OK, here is today's TMI... Back in the 80s I had a technician working for me who was dumb as the proverbial stump... He thought it would please me if he constantly asked me what to do every single time. Maybe he was conditioned to behave that way from working offshore on oil rigs, but I expected him to remember my previous answers. I gave him a notebook and a pen and told him to write down my answers and never ask me the same question twice.

Would that work here? :unsure: (kidding)

JR

A forum like this needs members that generously share knowledge about audio electronics, transformers, etc. rather than people that just hang around in the brewery to debate on every single political and global issue topics like they have an opinion on everything and always ready to pick a fight.

I gave him a notebook and a pen and told him to write down my answers and never ask me the same question twice.

Would that work here? :unsure: (kidding)

JR

LOL 😀

That's what I do, I always keep a little notebook and a leadpencil nearby when browsing this forum and make notes of things / schematics / concepts of interest to me (not in the brewery lol)

A coulple of months browsing this forum I learned more then several years in school.

GDIY is the best !

As long as we are doing a roll call of formers, has anyone talked to Dave, Paul or Brad? Nydave been gone for a while be we lost contact and I haven’t heard from him in ages. Paul stamler I forget his diy screen name, is he still alive? Bcarso I am fairly certain he passed on. All the amazing folks who were great people.
anyone have any recent contact with these folks?

As long as we are doing a roll call of formers, has anyone talked to Dave, Paul or Brad? Nydave been gone for a while be we lost contact and I haven’t heard from him in ages. Paul stamler I forget his diy screen name, is he still alive? Bcarso I am fairly certain he passed on. All the amazing folks who were great people.
anyone have any recent contact with these folks?
I recently sent an email to Paul (PRR) with no response. Brad (BCarso) passed away years ago (I remained friends with him on Facebook after he stopped participating here).

This is fairly natural for web forums as older members fade away and new members join.

JR

I recently sent an email to Paul (PRR) with no response. Brad (BCarso) passed away years ago (I remained friends with him on Facebook after he stopped participating here).

This is fairly natural for web forums as older members fade away and new members join.

JR
well are thinking of 2 different pauls. paul stamler was not PRR and I don't remember his diy moniker, I think it was like Pstamler or something close to that.

Bcarso I am fairly certain he passed on.
Brad definitely passed on. It got mentioned here in the Brewery a few years back. No idea on NYDave or Paul Stamler. Paul probably has left more tracks on the internet and could likely be found.
EDIT: Paul still shows up as a faculty member at Webster University, so he's likely still going strong.

Loved all those guys. PRR made me a const. current source drawing because he knew how my brain worked. CJ never failed to make me intrested in what he was working on (or smoking!) :LOL:.

I did a "miss you come back" email to PRR as well last year and also received no response. Fairly sure he's active elsewhere, so we should be happy he's still giving out good advice to those in need, even if it isn't from here.

Them two treasures -- among treasures. Rare to be pleased the internet keeps records.

Last edited:
and never ask me the same question twice.

JR
I'm sure the guy was annoying, but people learn a lot of different ways. There are folks who can watch something being done and instantly know how to do it; someone else may be able to read instructions and figure it out just as quickly. Someone else might require repeated instructions as well as repeated attempts to do the thing. Beyond that, there are issues like dyslexia, ADHD, and Asperger's.

Certainly there are people who come to this forum who want answers handed to them without putting in the work that would allow them to get those answers (and more) in the future. Some folks are probably always going to be that way, and others simply don't know enough to know that something's not as simple as they imagine it to be.

PRR's near-instantaneous circuit analyses were a marvel to behold, but for a lot of folks here (like probably me) they weren't necessarily all that helpful. It's like a novice trying to learn a magic trick by watching the trick being performed--too many moving parts that can't be immediately seen by the uninitiated, and all those moves that look so simple and easy take a lot more work and practice than it would appear. (note: I'm not trying to say that's all PRR ever did here--obviously not--but I'm just taking it as an example.)

Concluding my off-topicness: I don't necessarily think an internet forum is an ideal place for all types of learners. And maybe that's part of what drives some of the more circuit-savvy folks here a little crazy.

Latest posts

Back