CJ no longer here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the guy was annoying, but people learn a lot of different ways. There are folks who can watch something being done and instantly know how to do it; someone else may be able to read instructions and figure it out just as quickly. Someone else might require repeated instructions as well as repeated attempts to do the thing. Beyond that, there are issues like dyslexia, ADHD, and Asperger's.
at least you are now putting my own words in my mouth, albeit out of context. Yes I said it, but to an unsatisfactory employee, not a forum member. I joked about saying that to members and clearly noted that I was joking. Removing the "just kidding" explanation is arguably deceptive.
Certainly there are people who come to this forum who want answers handed to them without putting in the work that would allow them to get those answers (and more) in the future. Some folks are probably always going to be that way, and others simply don't know enough to know that something's not as simple as they imagine it to be.
Alexa... solve for Y.
PRR's near-instantaneous circuit analyses were a marvel to behold, but for a lot of folks here (like probably me) they weren't necessarily all that helpful. It's like a novice trying to learn a magic trick by watching the trick being performed--too many moving parts that can't be immediately seen by the uninitiated, and all those moves that look so simple and easy take a lot more work and practice than it would appear. (note: I'm not trying to say that's all PRR ever did here--obviously not--but I'm just taking it as an example.)
Paul's near instantaneous circuit analysis was no doubt helped by decades of experience working with a wide range of circuits.
Concluding my off-topicness: I don't necessarily think an internet forum is an ideal place for all types of learners. And maybe that's part of what drives some of the more circuit-savvy folks here a little crazy.
I don't like doing homework for posters but I have recently linked to a forum search full of answers. It can be difficult to effectively search if you don't know the jargon. Like how do you look up words in the dictionary you don't know how to spell... ;)

In another case I opened up an application note that I pointed a poster at, and found a dubious design in that ap note (perhaps a personal problem).

The value of participating on web forums like this is being able to draw upon the collective experience of like minded people and industry professionals. But that resource can be discouraged as we have seen valuable members move on.

Hopefully new comers will gain knowledge and step up to help the next generation of newbies asking simple questions. I have seen a handful step up and their help is appreciated. On the other hand some people offer answers that are little more than wild guesses and/or repeated bad information. Back in the 80s I wrote a regular column called "audio mythology" to address the worst mis-information, sadly some of those old myths refuse to die. [/rant]

JR

NYD!

guess I was at the right place at the right time to cross paths with these souls... i aspire to embody their spirit of generocity
Tell me about it. I was fortunate enough to meet these fellows at AES conventions and have rapport with them off the screen. The one time in NY where Dave educated us about egg creams was a sight to behold. The Bier Garten he took us too was also a great experience. If anything can be said is we are not the typical internet forum

Like how do you look up words in the dictionary you don't know how to spell... ;)

JR
Exactly like that. Or someone is asking a question that they don't have the basic knowledge to understand the answer to. Etc.

Getting into DIY can also create a false sense of confidence: you build something that works, often amazingly well, and you start to think you know what you're doing. (Been there, done that.)

And quite frankly, I'm one of those people who struggle to get a handle on electronics through reading the forum and through studying on my own. There are things I get, & things that remain completely mysterious to me. So I try not to answer questions if I'm not confident I know what I'm talking about (which means I don't answer many), & I try not to get too far over my head in my diy pursuits. And I try to continue to pick up more knowledge along the way.

I've read & reread some of PRR's circuit analyses--as I said, it's kind of like watching a magician for those who are less well-versed in electronics. But more than once over the years, I've wished for a "how did he do that?" sort of explanation to such feats--something that would help the uninitiated like me start the long climb to understanding.

But no one here owes me anything, and I'm always grateful for the help that's offered. And that this forum functions as well as it does, and is such an amazing resource, is kind of remarkable.

That's all.

For me Ian, PRR, CJ, EMRR, JohnRoberts, abbey, gyraf are really true idols.
And i thank god to have had the luck to learn from them. I’m 32 and i follow this forum since i was about 24, never opened a book (sorry) but all i’ve learned is from them, and now i can build everything i want, the only problem is i can’t stop now..

Back