ClassicTone Going Out Of Business

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeaky

I was pretty disappointed to receive an email from Magnetic Components announcing the permanent closure of their factory in early November. Corona virus, supply chain issues, and a decline in interest, in tube amp transformers, over the last four years were all cited as contributing factors.

I agree, they were the OEM for at least some of the valve amp transformers for Valco, a company which manufactured some interesting amps such as the 1624t, which is electronically quite unlike any of the so-called "British" amps.

Bad news for us tube amp builders.  I wonder how the other Manufactures are doing.  I'm glad I built my 5F2 this summer.  Got the power and output transformers from ClassicTone. Amp sounds great and has 4,8,16 ohm taps as well as two power output b+ voltages for different versions.  Unique transformer builds to say the least.

Terrible news. Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a supro thunderbolt and trainwreck express style output transformer...not sure if those will ever be avaliable again :/

Back