Cleaning a TO3 transistor socket?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hg_man

Hi, folks -

Any advice for cleaning the pin holes in a TO3 transistor socket?  I may have contaminated the insides of the holes with excess silicone grease, which I would think would interfere with good connection between the pin and the clip. My thought is to just insert and remove a wire and keep wiping it off until it's clean, or to find itty-bitty 22-gauge pipe-cleaners. Other thoughts?  It would be enough of a pain to replace the sockets that I'd rather not damage them.

Thanks,

Go to your local drugstore and find the aisle with toothbrushes, floss, etc.  Look for "interdental brushes" or "brush-picks" - they are tiny brushes for in between your teeth.  I keep a couple sizes around for cleaning tube sockets, etc.  Just spray with contact cleaner and scrub.

Sweet - I knew there had to be a product out there for this. Now if only I can figure out why the **** amp keeps blowing transistors.

Hello,
Vinegar or Vinegaracid is the Enemy of Silikon and it s not dangerous for Your Electronics .You can put it on Your Brush ,rub and let it soak a while. Do it a few Times.Than flush and wash with Contactclean.
Greetings
Lothar

And match hfe for parallel transistors.  Better to replace the group with matched sets.
If they are working hard the sockets might be the problem. Studer corrected this in the A800's MDA after the Mk I.
Mike

> why the **** amp keeps blowing transistors.

You have not found ALL the blown transistors and other parts.

Put big resistors (100r 10W) in series with both power lines, so the fault causes hot resistors and a zero voltage somewhere instead of "infinite" current and further destruction.

Back